Reviews tagging Violence

Monsters Born and Made, by Tanvi Berwah

oracle_of_madness's review

adventurous inspiring

Thank you Netgalley and Publisher for this Arc!

This was such a great read! Competition,  rebellion and a kind of dystopian setting make this book immediately one of my favorites this year.

Koral is a Hunter.   Her and her family are lucky Renters who have had this title passed down through generations which give them a greater chance at monetary security.  However,  they have hit hard times and Koral decides to enter the Glory Race with their last Maristag(a very dangerous but beautiful creature).  The Glory Race is usually only for the Landers who live much richer and safer lives than any Renters.  In the midst of rebellion, monster attacks and romance, Koral has no idea what she's really getting into.

This is an insightful, beautiful and vicious story and I really can't help but hope for more to come!! (Please!!)

Out September 6, 2022!

leahjanespeare's review

adventurous dark emotional tense medium-paced

My official small blurby thing:
A mix of The Hunger Games and The Scorpio Races, I couldn't put down this debut. Koral's harsh world of terrifying monsters and an oppressive regime has made her ruthless. She has to be, in order to survive, to protect her family. I loved following her and the other contestants' bloody adventures in the Glory Races.

Now, that being said....
This is a great debut. The writing is good, and there are some great ideas here. I'll definitely be looking for future titles from this author. And I loved about 85% of the book - unfortunately toward the end it failed to deliver. It got really messy and seemed to set up a LOT (but as far as I can tell, it's a standalone??) and then it suddenly ended. I think it should have either been the first in a series, or made longer to properly flesh things out (it's on the short side for a YA fantasy at 350 pages).

There are a lot of social issues addressed in here--class struggles, oppressive governing system, domestic abuse, etc. Also, I really loved her characters because they were complex, messy, and I rooted for all of them, even though everyone is pitted against each other. Worldbuilding though could have been better, character development can't carry the whole book, especially a fantasy.

Anyway, since she tried to fit SO MUCH (good stuff!) in such a short standalone book, by the end she didn't have the follow through to pull it off. I think another editing pass would have helped.I was super bummed. But like I said, I see big potential, and will definitely keep an eye on the author.

libscote's review

adventurous dark mysterious tense fast-paced

I really enjoyed this one. It's sort of like The Scorpio Races mixed with a dash of Hunger Games. Koral and her brother Emrik catch maristags for the Glory Race, an event that happens every 4 years and is usually reserved for the upper class. If they don't catch maristags, they don't get paid, and then they starve and can't afford medicine for their sick younger sister. When they lose the last maristag of the season, Koral makes a desperate bid to enter the Glory Race. Can she win despite all the odds?

It's definitely a hard book to read at times. There's an upper class determined to hold onto their place at any cost, and the lower class is balanced between trying to survive and being resentful of anyone who earns a little more. There's a rebellion happening, but it's complicated. The way the rebellion is portrayed I actually really enjoyed, because it felt very realistic. The ending leaves space for a sequel.

I read an ARC of this title.

e_flah's review

adventurous emotional tense medium-paced

Koral and her family are Hunters -- tasked with capturing the aquatic monsters, maristags, for the wealthy Landers who live on the island. The Hunters have a precarious position in society as they have a bit more prestige than the lowest class, Renters, yet are entirely dependent on the upper-class Landers for their continued employment and social position. When Koral's sister, Liria, needs medicine that the family can no longer afford, Koral decides to enter the Glory Race, a dangerous chariot race that is historically only for Landers. Monsters Born and Made follows Koral as she fights for her family, tries to find her place in the world, and questions the power structures she's forced to operate within.

Monsters Born and Made was an immersive story set in a world I desperately want to learn more about. The island of Sollonia brimmed with interesting monsters and characters who all have different views of how life on the island should be. Koral was a main character who was so easy to root for. Koral's fierce determination to provide for her family paired with her deep rage about the structural inequalities of her life made her a compelling protagonist. I loved seeing her work to forge a path that was different from the ones typically available to Hunters, particularly through her growing friendship with her maristag Stormgold.

To top it all off, this book brims with action from the very first chapter. There are aquatic fights with sea monsters, chariot races, and so much more. The action paired with the captivating setting and Koral's magnetism to make Monsters Born and Made a book that was hard to put down. This was a highly enjoyable debut that left me wanting more in all the best ways.

Thank you to Sourcebooks Fire and Netgalley for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

bookwormbullet's review

adventurous dark emotional sad tense medium-paced