Reviews for This Time Will Be Different, by Misa Sugiura

sunnielena's review against another edition

This felt kind of messy, like it was trying to do too many things at once. To me each thing was tackled well but it felt a bit jam-packed and the characters got lost for me in between all the points trying to be made. Still enjoyable! I just love characters so it impacted my overall impression.

thelegendofshelbi's review

emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

bruisedcupid's review

emotional informative reflective tense medium-paced

chanelletime's review

emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective tense medium-paced

aseel_reads's review against another edition

This book brought up so many important issues in the fight against racism: the model minority myth and the white saviour trope. I am also glad that it was based on the Japanese internment camps the US had during WWII, that definitely does not get talked about enough.

I generally liked the characters and their growth, and the plot was evenly paced and entertaining

wilde_book_garden's review against another edition

3.5 stars

CW: Racism, teen pregnancy, abortion, homophobia (off-page), discussion of Japanese internment camps

lena_and_her_books's review

slow-paced

Took me a while to get into but after a 100 pages or so I was hooked.
Was not as LGBTQ* as I expected. The main character (a straight cis girl) is friends with LGB-people, and through her lens we follow their storylines:
Spoiler lesbian (several characters, incl. a teen romance), gay (gay couple in one scene) and bisexual (main charachters (asian, male) love interest) side characters

nevernight's review against another edition

A nice contemporary book which tackles hard subjects like racism, lgbtq rights,asian american rights, immigration, small business vs giants along with teenage issues, parent expectations,prom, friendship and flowers #TeamHannah all the way- I want to believe the flower magic works >
Also...the cover.....we can all take a second or 2 or 3 and admire it

lucyp21's review

I got this book in a book box and was instantly in love with the cover and the yellow pages. When reviews started to come in, I heard many disappointed reviews about how they were expecting something more, so I was a little wary about starting it. It was both better than I thought it would be and a disappointment at the same time.

This book is about CJ, a teenager who works in her aunt's flower shop and is the only daughter of a single mum. Compared to her mum, CJ feels like a complete failure and not good at anything apart from when she works at the flower shop. So when she and her aunt find out her mum is planning to sell it to the people who had all but stolen it decades before, they are immediately up in arms. And then there's her best friend who is getting together with her childhood bully and the guy she has fantasised about is interested in her. It's all going on.

This book took me a while to get through but after I finished it and looked back at it, I enjoyed the complete book a lot more than I thought I would. CJ and all the characters felt realistic to me. Her mum and aunt weren't perfect, you could see them being more experienced and mature than CJ but they also made mistakes. The teenagers felt like actual teenagers - CJ made mistakes which you could see were the wrong things but her mindset and her character meant that these decisions made sense at the time. It just seemed very true to life, more so than many other YA books, but it was a very slow-paced book for what it was. I liked how the book talked about the internment camps and how they still have an effect on life today. There was an element of protest/addressing white privilege which was woven in nicely to the story.

I really liked Emily's subplot where she starts liking someone who hurt her in the past and how they had to deal with their issues together. It was one of my favourite subplots and I liked how involved CJ was in it.

I would probably recommend this book because of the characters and the plot but the writing style didn't mesh with me too well and so I found it quite slow, even when I was interested in what was going on.

4 stars!