Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal, by Adrian Alphona, G. Willow Wilson

laaiaa8's review

Me sabe mal no ponerle una nota más alta, pero algo no ha acabado de clicar conmigo.

En esta novela gráfica, se nos enseña como Kamala adquiere sus poderes y los empieza a utilizar. Kamala vive en un entorno musulmán, pero ella ha nacido en Estados Unidos, así que se enfrenta también a una situación familiar difícil, ya que sus padres son musulmanes conservadores. Creo que es importante que haya un personaje como Kamala en el universo marvel. Por una parte, se añade diversidad y, por otra, también muestra la realidad de muchos americanos cuyas familias provienen de otro país.
La historia no está mal, pero no soy muy fan del estilo de cómic de superhéroes.

Lo leí porque está gratis en Amazon.com con Kindle Unlimited y le quise dar una oportunidad. Si os gustan los cómics de superhéroes (Marvel en especial), este libro os gustará y los disfrutaréis. Si no, siempre podéis probar. A mí me ha hecho pasar un rato entretenido :)

caitlink's review

joonxmm's review

adventurous funny fast-paced

librarypatronus's review

I'm gonna be honest, superhero comics are not my fave. I keep trying to get into them with the ones that sound most interesting (because I do like graphic novels AND novels with superheroes), those with diversity, tropes I like, etc. This was fine, but hasn't converted me to a superhero comics fan yet. I do think I might continue to see if I get more into it as the character develops more.

epiphanylord's review

This. Was. Amazing.

- It had a great diverse cast of characters. Many main characters were American/Pakistani Muslims and it was interesting to see life from their perspectives! This was my first ever read with characters of this culture and I need more!

- Though they had small roles, some of my favorite superheros were in this! This included Captain America and Captain Marvel, my super crushes.

- Speaking of Cap, the main character was a Marvel fangirl! I'm always down for reading about teenage fangirls, so this was a blast.

carokinkead's review

Decided to do a re-read of this, paying special attention to the wonderful art by Adrian Alphona. Not just what's going on in the foreground, but the background as well. For example, on the opening page of the first issue, the sandwiches at the Circle Q Kamala Khan is so longingly sniffing are labeled "BLT," "BLT," "Spicy Chicken," "?"

electroclan17's review

I knew more things than I would've if I hadn't read the 9th volume first but I didn't mind knowing what I did. It was still fun to read.

iamgr00t's review

funny hopeful inspiring fast-paced

books_under_blankets's review

I was hesitant to read this when it first came out because I didn’t think it would give me the back story I wanted. I was so excited for the representation Marvel was presenting, but definitely worried that it would be another case of trying to get publicity from diversity without really acknowledging or celebrating that which made the characters diverse.

I am beyond happy with how wrong I was. Kamala’s culture, race, and religion are all explored within the first few pages and consistently mentioned throughout the storyline. In addition, she feels so authentic as a teenage girl (I remember the drama and feeling like my parents were out to ruin my life as well). It is a very intriguing and engaging storyline, and I am so excited to keep reading.

aliyahcrews4's review

I need this movie adaptation

I loved this comic! Very good Muslim representation and it was funny! Also, idk what I thought the inventor would look like but I wasn’t expecting that lol