On Looking: Eleven Walks with Expert Eyes, by Alexandra Horowitz

sarahofstories's review against another edition

It just didn't work for me

heckmanity's review against another edition

Some chapters (and the perspectives of the guest walkers in those chapters) definitely engaged me & grabbed me more than others, which I suppose was to be expected, but overall this was an enjoyable reminder of all the stories that surround us if we only look for them and "take the longcut."

katie_jane2021's review

informative inspiring reflective slow-paced

1.5

Parts I really enjoyed. Others where it went really deep into the science I enjoyed less.

morningtide's review against another edition

informative reflective medium-paced

liaandersson's review against another edition

Ironiskt nog var jag inte särskilt uppmärksam när jag lyssnade på boken. Den är dock väldigt inspirerande. Jag kommer spara så mycket pengar av att kunna sitta och glo på träden på vår tomt istället för att åka på semester. Jag har slagits av många nya idéer jag vill prova på. Det är en väldigt mysig och givande bok att lyssna på. Den får en att uppskatta alla små saker i vardagen. Allt från myrorna på en trottoar till ambulanssirener inne i staden.

marisaelainegettas's review against another edition

A really interesting book. Some chapters hit better than others, but overall I loved the concept. Very informative.

convolutedmachine's review against another edition

informative inspiring reflective slow-paced

traceyt's review

Boring

lennox's review

reflective slow-paced

joreads7's review against another edition

The title of this book is a little misleading, I would hardly call her toddler and her dog expert eyes. And then some of the walks are supposed to be exploring non-visual elements, so really it should be seven walks with expert eyes, two with expert ears, one with a dog and one with a toddler who clearly isn't an expert at anything, but I guess that wasn't snappy enough.
I found it a bit frustrating that the walks moved around the city without specifically identifying where they were taking place, I know the neighborhood (she clearly lives on the Upper West Side) extremely well, so I was distracted by trying to place exactly what blocks they were on. That being said, it was interesting to think about things from all the different perspectives, though some were more effective then others. I was definitely listening differently this afternoon as I attempted to charge through the mass of tourists, which brought to mind some of her points from the pedestrian flow chapter. I think the choice of topics/experts is a bit uneven, but it was interesting in the collective.