Aesop's Illustrated Fables, by Aesop

xsassypants's review against another edition

I can guarantee that my 24 Hour Readathon didn't start in a positive way 😂 At some point I fell asleep twice while trying to finish this book (from 14% of the ebook).
I guess I shouldn't have started the Readathon while being so tired and sleepy and I honestly didn't enjoy this book right from the beginning (I've started it like a week ago).
I suppose that boring is the right adjective and now I know better that I should have dropped it for the sake of the life in me and my poor Readathon 😂

pelachick's review against another edition

Interesting to read them all together. It gives a different perspective.

blchandler9000's review against another edition

I'd been reading this book off an on for a few months, which is how I'd recommend reading it. Many of the stories are classics, and deserving of more than the meagre 2 stars I've allotted this book, but after a while, so many of the fables fell into one of two morals: don't try to change, and don't trust wicked people. I can get behind the latter of the two, but not the first.

I recall a book of Aesop's fables from my childhood featuring a half a dozen classics; I preferred that one much more.

beardybot's review against another edition

Most of these are a bit pants. The wisdom we know from old adages and children's books is thoroughly padded with fluff and nonsense.

marthabethanreads's review against another edition

DNF. Got bored and so many of the stories just had animals or humans eating each other?? Weird.

dzomparelli's review against another edition

Yeah, I know a 2/5 is a controversial rating for such an iconic and timeless piece of work. I'm not denying that this book is either of those things, because it truly is iconic and timeless. If you take individual stories from this book, they are all great lessons. The problem I have with this book, only exists because it is a collection. All of the stories are designed to teach you something, and give guidance on how to live your life. The issue arises because basically every story is contradicted to some extent by another story. There's a general pattern of how Aesop displays his morals, but it's so inconsistent and arbitrary, that it almost seems like he is just writing for the sake of writing sometimes.

lisakn's review

This book did contain some valuable lessons, and it does contain some good and important stories, relevant to our culture, vocabulary, and society. That being said, I was irritated by the morals that contradicted each other, and the fact that some of the stories seemed a little 'victim-blaming'. And whenever Aesop appears, he kind of comes across like a pretentious douche to me. It's also worth noting that some of the morals are highly outdated (though I'm willing to let that slide considering the age of these stories - erasing or ignoring the past because we don't like it will get us nowhere).

dominil's review against another edition

Le favole di Esopo sono antichissime e appartengono da sempre al nostro patrimonio culturale e morale.
Ovviamente tutti conoscono la favole de "La volpe e l'uva" o quella della gara tra la tartaruga e la lepre, ma in questa piccola collezione ce ne sono altre ugualmente brillanti e poco famose, come "Il cavaliere calvo".
La bellezza di queste storielle è la varietà delle situazioni che ci rendono partecipi e al contempo riescono a portarci esempi concreti, possibili, anche se non fra animali, a scopo didattico e morale.
E' quasi inquietante vedere come tra noi ed Esopo, più di duemila anni di differenza, non ci sono stati poi tanti cambiamenti nel comportamento e nella sfera sentimentale umana.

kristinajean's review against another edition

A beautifully illustrated picturebook collection.

ellissah's review

I loved reading this edition. The illustrations and format was beautiful.

The translation itself was above what I would consider a child-friendly reading level so I would definitely keep that in mind. Some of the language chosen in the translation was a little dubious.

Overall it was still very enjoyable.