A Lesson in Vengeance, by Victoria Lee

acottageofwords's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense

bookrecluse's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious sad slow-paced
A Lesson in Vengeance by Victoria Lee is a dark, gothic young adult book set in a high school boarding house.

The book is strongly character based, with most of the plot only being moved along due to the characters. The start of the book was slow. It was an attempt to set the gothic scene and build up tension. It also went on too long. There were other parts of the book where it stalled, but not for long. The last part of the book had me hooked. I stayed up late into the night to finish.

The main character, Felicity, is an unreliable narrator due to her own mental illness. It was fascinating how this was done, and how it was built into the main character herself. However, mental illness is real and not just a plot device. It felt like that could have been respected more. Also, the med rep is horrible in the book, and it didn’t have to be.

There were a few inconsistencies and a few unbelievable things. It was hard to know if they were due to the narration or writing. I think it was a bit of both. The two biggest to me - antidepressants do not stop hallucinations. Also, Felicity dug a large hole six feet in the ground during winter in three hours. Not possible.

There is LGBTQ+ rep with F/F relationship and a Non-Binary side character that I wanted more of.

Overall, the book was haunting and will stay with me. I appreciated the writing and also felt more could have been done for accuracy. The strength of this novel is the characters.

pembcrley's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark mysterious tense fast-paced

lolam666's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

nicsten's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious medium-paced

kelsdreambooks's review against another edition

dark fast-paced

cici_17's review against another edition

dark

pgrazi's review against another edition

The best book I’ve read all year. Deliciously dark and sapphic, with beautiful prose.

jitsumi1221's review against another edition

Possible Triggers:
Death | Gore | Occult

Final Thoughts:
I’m not really sure how I feel about this book. The set up for the actual bit that was exciting took a very long time and could probably have been summarized in a few chapters while still making the story fascinating. The first two-thirds of the book were tedious and full of pretentious characters. Pretentious, because so many of the actions would seem very normal in a College setting but were set in a High School environment. Now, aside from that, holy crap the action and unraveling of the story was swift and captivating. That last one-third of the book had my heart beat up and it was a trial not to have my eyes skimming faster to see what happened next. The pacing at the end was fantastic and the reveal was lovely.