Reviews tagging Blood

A Lesson in Vengeance, by Victoria Lee

aqulia's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective

For my first dark academia book, I was not disappointed.  The characters in it are great.  Felicity and Ellis are wonderfully complex, and I liked the side characters to.  The twists are very well done.  I also liked the setting, and the overall vibe.  This book goes into darker places than I was expecting, even from reading Story graph's general trigger warnings.  One big thing I disliked about the book was the repetitiveness of the plot.  Felicity and Ellis go on secret spooky hangouts with each other too many times.  The pacing also suffered towards the end.  All in all, this is a great book.

Who do I recommend this to? People who like dark academia, people who like unreliable narrators, and people who like complex relationships between characters
Who should skip this? People who don't want to read about a very toxic relationship, people who like lighthearted books, and people who dislike a repetitive plot.
Will I read more by Victoria Lee? Maybe.  This book was pretty good, but I wasn't super thrilled by it.

littlebookaddict's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced

I’m not usually into mystery, seeing as I don’t like not knowing things, but this was a dark academia ghostly book about academies and witches. I just had to read it. It was so much more than a mystery it was a dark reflection of passion and the need to create something perfect, the hunger to strive for true excellence in your work. I sort of saw the plot twist coming but the realization of my thoughts becoming truth was invigorating. Some part of me hoped that it wasn’t true, but I’m honestly glad the way Lee took the story to twist it into an even darker book. I love the way this book portrayed emotional disturbance, mental illness, and the stress of modern day. While also portraying the complex relationships and betrayals of the characters. A lesson in vengeance is the perfect title for this book because it summarizes the book in 4 words. I was encapsulated by this book and recommend people who are fans of dark fiction to read this! And also was super thrilled to finally read a dark academia book where the main character was lesbian and the side characters sibling was non-binary. We need more LGBTQ+ dark academia novels in society today.

I will say though while there was a good diversity of sexuality’s and gender expression the solely black character that was included was only used as an interpretation of the “wrongness” of the academy to use a woman of color to their benefit, while basically using this said woman of color to heighten a white woman’s experience. They glanced over important topics of the civil rights movement and barely explored Leonie except to say she was a black woman. I definitely think Lee could’ve used her for more than that not just further a white woman’s experience with racism and it’s history.

Nevertheless, my perception of the novel is one that is eerily creepy yet beautifully haunting and will love reading this again and again and recommending to my friends to see their reactions.

oliverreeds's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense slow-paced

good. it’s just that it got slow sometimes. it could be repetitive but the set up was great and the characters were very compelling. the ending wasn’t predictable but it was hinted at and i liked it

wondernaut55's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense slow-paced

gm_vak's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

hannahlberg's review against another edition

adventurous dark funny mysterious sad tense medium-paced

This book was really easy to get lost in. I wish I had read it closer to halloween! Spooky and dramatic

thereaderfriend's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

Very unreliable narrator. Loved the aesthetic and the setting. Loved that it was about a character getting wrapped up into something far more than the other. Super intriguing. Felt too long tho and that the unreliable characters made it hard to understand anything.

keatynbergsten's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

unwise_samwise's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious medium-paced