chaosbooked's review against another edition

Serena Williams is the first story in the book and it is very captivating, read that one for sure. Some of the other ones are good but all these women who are getting a kid (that I read, except one doulas story (another good one)) have tremendous means or tremendous health or both and the stories started to blend together in a flowery transcendence of champagne motherhood that I was having a hard time relating to.

jadexjuliet's review against another edition

emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective fast-paced

zarazuck's review against another edition

emotional informative reflective slow-paced

You know I love parenting/mothering/birth books, but this was pretty boring. I feel bad saying that.

courtthebookgirl's review against another edition

This collection of personal birth stories (including stories from caregivers who witnessed births) from celebrities to women globally is powerful and appropriate for Mother’s Day Weekend.

The stories in this book give a wide swath of “arrival stories,” from c-sections to natural births, home births, and everything in between. It addresses the disproportionate care received by Black and Brown women. It shares “horror” stories as well as beautiful moments.

Don’t let the glossy, pretty cover fool you. This is anything but a “light” read. It battles systemic racism, inadequacies in health care, the failures of America health care, harrowing birth stories and aftercare, and so much more. In the end, I found it powerful and empowering, but it was also incredibly eye-opening.

ksmithcpa's review against another edition

Thank you Penguin Random House Audio for a complimentary audiobook.

I am fascinated by women’s birth stories. For something that has happened for millennia, each story is so unique.
This is a compilation of essays by women from all walks of life poignantly depicts the uniqueness.

bookaddicted's review against another edition

emotional funny informative inspiring reflective sad fast-paced

kaitybest's review against another edition

I'm a sucker for birth stories and anthologies about motherhood. I loved the intention behind this collection and the focus on addressing maternal health outcomes, particularly for women of color. That being said, I struggled a little with some of the stories. Nearly all of the women featured have significant wealth and/or celebrity status. The financial ramifications of birthing a child were barely discussed, which I find to be a crucial missed opportunity. For someone to lament about the trials of motherhood (legitimate as they may be) in the same sentence they share that they had a night nurse and nanny was pretty unrelatable and not reflective of the "typical" parenting experience.

All of that said, I did like that the multitude of ways in which a person can arrive at motherhood were spotlighted and no two stories were alike.

adsvoss's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring lighthearted reflective sad tense fast-paced

caittilynn's review against another edition

emotional informative inspiring medium-paced

laurapeschroe's review against another edition

inspiring reflective fast-paced