The Goblin Emperor, by Katherine Addison

r_emrys's review

hopeful relaxing slow-paced

lizshayne's review against another edition

The audio on this is excellent and I couldn't believe the book ended. I wanted to hire Kyle McCarley to read me some of the fanfic, which is not a thing that works.
This book is still so good and I just want to reread it again.

amydavid's review against another edition

I don't know what to make of this book, because it got such great reviews and the world-building was great, but the plot was strained, to say the least. There are several seemingly-large conflicts that are almost immediately resolved, and the main mystery is unraveled out of view of the main characters and we're told about it later. I can only assume this will turn out to be the first in a series; otherwise much has been wasted.

beeswax's review

Oh god, the names. I gave up on remembering any names, and figured out who characters were based on context. Otherwise an enjoyable read.

sophiesmallhands's review against another edition

emotional hopeful medium-paced

xeleison's review

Excellent story! I really liked the protagonist - he was a nice young man trying to survive in a very hostile environment, but he didn't end up lashing out at everyone like some heroes do in similar circumstances. Not much action, but because I liked him so much, I really liked the book.

The book works very well as a stand-alone - it's nice every so often to read a good fantasy that doesn't see itself as book 1 in an interminable series.

I found this on the library shelf and picked it up because it was one of the Hugo nominees. Well-deserved nominee, I'd say.

thevultureeye's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional hopeful reflective sad medium-paced

elisenic's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

cur_rant's review

slow-paced

elizafiedler's review

This book is mainly political intrigue through the eyes of a young emperor who never expected to be one and has lived his life in exile up to this point.

I really wish this novel involved more characterization of the elves and goblins as nonhuman species. Yes, there's the differences in skin, hair, and eye coloring, the ear thing (descriptions of body language involving ear movement), and one single death spell, but not much else. Does it even matter that these are elves and goblins and not humans? It doesn't seem like it.

There's more steampunk, in fact, but even then it's mainly just the existence of airships and one very cool model of a steam powered clockwork bridge.