The Goblin Emperor, by Katherine Addison

sara_o's review against another edition

Continuing to work my way through NPR's Top 50 Science Fiction and Fantasy Books of the Last Decade list. It's proving a treat :)

Really liked this one. It's a quiet book, and one that reminds me a lot of the books I loved as a kid, where the main character has a heart of gold and his main superpower is his inherent goodness. The good characters are good and the bad characters are bad and the whole thing just felt incredibly warm and soothing (in spite of the political intrigue and back-stabbing). It also was really well paced for me. I could see some people feeling like there isn't enough action or wanting the characters to be more complicated or the mystery to be more mysterious. But for me, I just drifted along contentedly.

The end felt a bit abrupt and I would have liked to see an Epilogue of the 10-years-the-future variety. But overall, really liked it. 3.5 stars, rounding up to 4.

kommie's review

(audiobook)

leviel's review against another edition

This was an amazing book that really challenged my ideas about the use of the royal "we" as a serious form of address. The author splendidly created a living breathing world that I would love to read more about. I can only hope that Addison continues to write within this setting as there was plently to build on just in this book as a stand alone creation. I would recommend this to any reader and it's definitely on my "must read" list.

haewilya's review

It's pleasant to read about a truly nice hero. And even if he had a bad childhood (most of it anyway), it wasn't dwelled upon. The world building is awesome too even if I have to struggle with the pronunciations in my mind.

dahabow's review against another edition

I'm in tears. Maia is the sweetest, most wholesome and just (accidental) Emperor. He gave him very strong Alizayd Al Qahtani vibes (see: Daevabad trilogy) and yet this was a refreshing, slow paced standalone fantasy. I'm so glad I listened to Luna and picked this one up. Truly a delight and I did take my time because I wanted to savour it. A more in-depth review will come (soon)

kiditkid's review

challenging emotional inspiring reflective slow-paced

I wasn’t expecting this to tug on my heart the way it did but chapter after chapter I found myself caring more for Maia. Whether it be via emotions of sympathy or empathy or a desire to simply be his friend, Maia and his slowly growing entourage captured my attention. The emotions of this book are so raw that when Maia feels embarrassed or sad or mad or confused, the reader experiences the same. It’s been a while that the lens through which I read has been so clear. Solid 4.5/5. I think the fact that this book is more of a character study than a thrilling adventure keeps this from being a 5/5. But maybe I’ll come back at the end of the year and bump it up (who knows!)

build_a_house_of_books's review

emotional hopeful inspiring slow-paced

myth's review

The only flaw in this book is that Csethiro didn't get to stab somebody when she so clearly longs to do so. (LET CSETHIRO STAB SOMEBODY 2K24)

Sorry babe you were just 20ft too far away from your fiance's would-be assassin. You can get the next one!

emma2forsythe's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted reflective sad fast-paced

yuyuz's review