Reviews tagging Violence

The Last Legacy, by Adrienne Young

nicolelovesbooks's review

adventurous dark emotional medium-paced

What a captivating story. Bryn is the epitome of a female character on a journey to figure out who she is and take hold of her own agency and destiny and I really loved that about her. And Ezra, all quiet and brooding and handsome and talented… and then there’s the Roths. A mafia-like family in a timeless world of gems, traders, and ships. I loved dipping back into the world of Fable/Namesake again and getting to know this infamous family of Bastian.

bookforthought's review against another edition

adventurous emotional medium-paced

I loved Fable and Namesake, so I was really excited to return to this universe and learn more about the Roth family in The Last Legacy. While I didn't love it quite as much as I did the previous two, this was still a very enjoyable read and confirmation that I will read pretty much anything Adrienne Young writes.

The Last Legacy starts shortly after the events in Namesake have taken place. Although it is meant as a standalone and can easily be read as one (some references are made to the previous book's events but they are marginal to the plot), the worldbuilding might prove confusing to readers who are not already familiar with it as a lot of knowledge of how things work in Bastian is taken for granted.

The Roths had definitely intrigued me in the previous book and I looked forward to learning more about this crime family. The characters were definitely the best thing about this, even though the focus was on only a few of them. Bryn was an interesting main character to follow and I loved seeing a lot of Ezra and Murrow, but I wish we could spend more time with the rest of the family as well.

Sadly, I wasn't all that sold on the romance. I love a forbidden romance/enemy-to-lovers as much as the next person, but its development here just didn't convince me as it just felt rushed and lacking in build-up. Bryn's feelings just seemed to change almost overnight and I couldn't feel the chemistry almost at all until towards the very end of the book.

The plot is also quite thin, as nothing much seems to happen for large portions of the book. However, we do get a fair bit of scheming on all sides and I was all there for it! The descriptions are also gorgeous and I ended up not minding too much about the lack of action as I just enjoyed being in Bastian.

The Last Legacy is a cosy, easy read that Fable fans will definitely enjoy. This kind of book was exactly what I needed when I read it, a quick and comfortable book to take me back to a world I had enjoyed, so I still liked it despite all its flaws but I'm not sure it would hold up on a re-read.

aspoonfuloflanguage's review

adventurous dark tense medium-paced

I know a lot of people are comparing this book to the Fable duology, and while they’re set in the same universe I really dont think it’s fair to try and compare them. They’re both good in their own right, and they are quite different from each other. I actually really appreciated how the tone of the book was darker and helped plunge me into a world I had grown to know and love in a completely new way. This book almost felt more like a psychological mystery than a story of adventure, which was really refreshing. I will say that if you’ve read Fable and are familiar with how Young sets up reveals in her writing, it does take away some of the suspense. It would have been nice if her unpredictability was a little less… predictable. It also felt like the relationship and ending of the book was super rushed. All of that should have been revealed more slowly I think… or at least shouldn’t have happened right at the end. It was good don’t get me wrong but I finished the last chapter and was like ‘epilogue?’ ‘another 100 pages maybe?’ but nope. Overall I enjoyed this a lot and I’m excited that she’s publishing another book in this universe later this year!

lit_with_lauren's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious fast-paced

elevetha's review

slow-paced

nabecker13's review

kenziewol's review against another edition

adventurous emotional fast-paced

amym84's review

dark mysterious tense slow-paced

When I heard that Adrienne Young would be expanding the world she created in her Fable duology, I was slightly apprehensive at first. I mean, I loved Fable, but I was personally content with how that series ended. I was ready for the next adventure so to speak. But it was undeniable that the Roth family (introduced in Namesake) were an interesting force to be reckoned with. Plus, there's the fact that Adrienne Young has never steered me wrong so of course, I was going to read this.

The Last Legacy begins about a year after the events of Namesake. Bryn Roth has waited for the day when she will get her letter from her Uncle Henrik and officially join the family in Bastian. Fourteen years ago when both of her parents were killed, Bryn's great-aunt took a then four year old Bryn away from Bastian (and the Roths) to be raised in Nimsmire on the condition that upon her eighteenth birthday Bryn would return to the family's multi-generational home and take up the family business.

However, Bryn is unprepared for just what exactly the family business is. There are secrets that run deep within the family - everyone seems to be running their own game - but there's also this strong sense of loyalty - family above all else. As Bryn struggles to find her place, she realizes that her Uncle Henrik already has plans for her. But Bryn has spent her entire life meeting everyone else's expectations, she's ready to break free on her own, however, it soon becomes apparent that there's a high price for freedom in the Roth household.

This is a plot that really unfolds in a slow and methodical way as Bryn navigates what it means to be a Roth. She's at once embraced within the family yet she's also and outsider. Because of this she quickly sees a common ground between herself and Ezra - the Roth family's silversmith. Ezra is not a Roth by blood but has essentially been raised as one for years now.

Both of these characters find themselves in the same quagmire of not really belonging in one place or another. As much as it brings them together it also sows the seed of untrustworthiness - something that her uncle is always quick to manipulate if it benefits him. Bryn wants to much to belong somewhere that it takes  bit for her to recognize her uncle's machinations. Personally, I could spot them a mile a way and I kind of wish that Bryn was a little more savvy to this as well, but I can forgive a girl who clearly so desperately wants a family that she misses this. Rest assured it's not long before Bryn sees the true colors behind the Roth name and what she does with this rivals Adrienne Young's other strong female characters.

I liked that this story was less about the action and the physical strength and more about trying to outwit someone who basically wants to have you under their thumb. Someone who doesn't truly care for you as a person as much as cares how you can benefit the family. It's a strange dynamic within the household and one that I think Adrienne Young really gives some interesting thought while building.

Suffice it to say, I was completely pulled in by Bryn's story. I loved how shrewd she was throughout. I wouldn't mind getting a short story showing readers a bit of the after.

Adrienne Young has become an author that you can count on to deliver time and time again. With strong female characters doing what they can to survive. I look forward to what comes next.

fool_ofabook's review

dark emotional hopeful sad fast-paced