The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale

haoife00's review against another edition

Soooo good. I was given this years ago and I just never read it until now, like I do. It was stupid of me. Everything was just amazing in it. The only bad thing is that I've always been looking for the series in book shops and I've never seen it once.

cozyblanketbooks's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional hopeful reflective sad tense medium-paced

ilaurin's review against another edition

Very nice fairy tale like stories (although a lot of people and animal die) where a princess, through her own bravery, finds her prince.

adrienneturner's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful medium-paced

Reread

hopealope25's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional mysterious medium-paced

mj470's review against another edition

This was a reread for me since it's been many years. I love this book and I love the nostalgia it gives me to growing up and obsessively reading this series.

tblossom1's review against another edition

Loved it!

This book had everything! Romance, action and commaderie. I love how the story was told and I love how the characters were created! I can't wait to read more about these people!

vale15's review against another edition

The Goose Girl is a reread for me, though to be fair, I recalled very little so this almost was like reading for the first time. I'll even admit I didn't go in with high expectations, not because I didn't like it the first time around, actually the opposite. On my quest to reread my forgotten books, I have found a trend in middle grade books disappointing me the second time around.

But I was pleasantly surprised.

Beginning TGG I was on the fence and struggled to get on board with Ani. To the impatient, Ani is reserved and unexciting. And in some ways she remains this way to the very end. Ani always struck me as passive and borderline unresponsive even though I can't say she didn't react at all. But her reactions never seemed very powerful. This would normally make me seriously consider DNF'ing but honestly this element actually fits very well in the story. It makes sense and that is why I decided to go to the end. Ani's mother, the queen, is very emotionally distant from her child and the one woman who might have inspired some fierceness in her died before she had the chance. So Ani grew up modeling herself after a reserved woman so it makes sense for Ani to be the same. While, at times, I was frustrated with Ani's docility, her meekness, her slowness, her lack of passion, how could I expect more? Again, it makes sense. A princess is taught and rewarded for behavior appropriate for her station. Her life at her palace was so effortless you could barely call it living. And while Ani might not won me over with her boldness, she did impress me with her lack of complaining, effort to learn what was being taught and respect to those at the complete opposite of her station. She always acted like a young person looking for her place in the world and was kind, respectful and introspective.

A slow start but by the last chapter I really appreciated this book. I won't say is one of my favorite books but it is worth reading for all ages. I think Hale executed some really well timed surprises like the identify of the prince, the secret listening spot, the connection with both animals and wind and Ani's willingness to become Queen of Bayern even if she didn't love the prince. That was one of the moments that I really loved Ani. She was truly willing to marry someone she didn't love so that she could right the wrongs she witnessed in Bayern. I love the found-family aspect and the broader found-culture, which was very well done. I do think I will try to finish the series because I think Hale has a lot to offer those who are willing to walk with her for awhile.

jenni_elyse's review against another edition

It took me a while to get into it, but I ended up really enjoying The Goose Girl.

plainviewfarmer's review against another edition

My eleven-year-old daughter has read this book maybe ten times? She asked me to read it, and to be honest, I put it off for quite a while. I didn't want to read a "kids' book." But little did I know what a beautiful and immersive tale it would be. The language is gorgeous. Shannon Hale is an amazing writer. It has been so much fun to talk to my daughter about the plot and the phrases that made our hearts skip a beat. And even ten minutes after finishing it, I still have tears in my throat. I can't wait to read it with my younger kids.