lauraglovestoread's review

challenging emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

I am grateful that the author wrote this book and that I had the opportunity to read it.  Care Work is urgent, crucial, challenging, confronting, and so so needed.  I was deeply personally affected by some of the chapters, feeling like personal experiences and feelings I've had were named in ways that I appreciate and will carry with me.  I also feel like I've learned a lot, including about areas that I can do better, and will bring that learning into the work that I do -- I'm glad for those lessons, too.  Highly, highly recommend.

emilykval's review

emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

selkiehusband's review

emotional hopeful informative medium-paced

jouljet's review

challenging informative reflective slow-paced

whatannikareads's review

challenging emotional informative inspiring reflective sad slow-paced

very informative read! it takes a lot of mental clarity and focus to read it, but definitely worth it. eye-opening and important for the disability justice movement, and it enlightened me on the characteristics of what it can mean to be qtbipoc and disabled. really recommend for anyone wanting to read more consciously

litlistening's review against another edition

challenging emotional informative reflective slow-paced

achingallover's review

challenging emotional informative reflective slow-paced

Rating may be revised later.
Part VI was really good and gave me a lot to think about, but other parts were repetitive, reductive, bad advice (eg regarding medication) or, just, lots of acronyms that weren't explained (the irony that it discusses making writing less academic to be accessible is not lost on me).

independent_wombat's review against another edition

challenging emotional informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

littleseven's review

challenging informative inspiring reflective slow-paced

kelseyland's review

challenging informative reflective medium-paced

An incredible collection of essays that put forth a radical, transformative vision of disability justice that centers the voices and needs of disabled people, and particularly folks who are queer, trans, Black, indigenous, and POC. The essays range from the theory-based (what does healing look like when it is done by and for disabled people, and what are its goals?) to the practical (hacks for going on a book tour as a disabled person). Even if you  have a baseline familiarity with disability justice, this book is likely to make you consider ideas, perspectives, and/or forms of oppression that you haven't before.