NOS4A2, by Joe Hill

jlstevenson6813's review against another edition

I stumbled upon this title in a Twitter thread where someone wanted to know "the scariest book you've ever read." I had previously read Horns, and liked it, so I gave this one a shot. It was really good. Not the scariest book I've ever read, but still pretty great. I really liked Lou. And, of course, turning Christmas into something frightening.

laoise's review against another edition

adventurous dark slow-paced

katiespina's review against another edition

I think this might actually be better than Horns, and I thought Horns was amazing. The ideas of inscapes and dream realities has always been a favorite of mine, but his characters actually get there. Equal parts creepy and victorious, I cannot recommend this book enough.

rhonig's review against another edition

My early pick for favorite book of 2013. The characters and plot were equally compelling, and the tone struck an incredibly fine line between uproariously funny and overwhelmingly dreadful.

myliterarylove's review against another edition

Holy. Crap.
That was a fun and frightening ride!
I know I'll be thinking about Vic McQueen and the Shorter Way Bridge for a long time.
Oh, and Christmasland... *shudders

barbaral's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense medium-paced

cbrown1021's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional sad tense medium-paced

llassu01's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional tense medium-paced

lillifey's review against another edition

Despite the size of N0S4A2, I don't think there's a single superfluous word. It doesn't feel like I've read a story spanning 700 pages and never once did it feel like a slog. The horror aspect is fantastic, a well balanced and well used mix of all too realistic horror and fantasy horror. Joe Hill's writing is fantastic and the book is incredibly vivid in scenery, description, and character - especially the women. Can't wait to check out his other works!

ika0's review against another edition

3,5 stars

NOS4A2 is the story of Vic McQueen, a young girl when we first meet her. She discovers she has the magic power of going anywhere she wants to through a bridge that doesn't exist, but she can only find that bridge when she's riding her bike.
Vic isn't the only one with such special powers, though, and not all the people who have them use them for good. Charles Manx can go to a special place he's created in his mind, a place called Christmasland, where all the children he takes there remain young and happy forever (and very creepy). Instead of a bike, he drives The Wraith, a car that he can control with his mind and allows him to turn normal children into cold little creatures with dozens of sharp teeth.

Vic ended up finding Charles's house when she was 16, and ended up becoming the first child to escape Charles Manx. However, she never became the same, and even years later, after becoming a mother, the children from Christmasland kept calling to torment her.

Manx never forgot Vic, and he decided the best revenge for her was to take her own son, Bruce Wayne, to Christmasland. Vic is one tough chick, however, and she won't let Charles Manx get way that easily.

NOS4A2 is a great choice for any fans of Stephen King or just scary novels in general. The story was very original, and it does make Christmas look a little creepy. The paranormal aspect of the book was very interesting, and I would like to know a little more about all the other people who, besides, Maggie, Vic and Charlie Manx, were mentioned has having special abilities.

For me, what kept me from giving this book 4 stars was the last chapter. It felt somewhat rushed, and the way everyone dealt with what happened to Vic felt too light, considering the situation.

Buy it on Amazon: http://amzn.to/2zfY0tP