Reviews tagging Child death

NOS4A2, by Joe Hill

peppers_books's review against another edition

this book has one of the best lines i have ever read in a book, i will remember this for as long as i can:  "he was hideous-old, not to mention hideous. his great bald skull was a globe mapping an alien moon" i actually cackled out loud, and this gem happens on page four

shepherd's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark tense medium-paced

This was my Halloween read after reading reviews stating it was the scariest book people had ever read. Maybe I'm immune to being scared, because this did nothing for me in that aspect. I found the mentions/description of rape, child abuse, and pedophila disgusting. Did that scare me? No.

I think I was expecting some horrifying blood sucking adventure of chaos and murder. Instead it was an energy vampire or some shit.

The characters are fleshed out and Vic is ballsy and incredibly damaged, I dug that. Lou is amazing, enough said.

I did feel the entire novel was paced medium to slow. I should have expected that, given the family ties. The end was incredibly rushed after 650 pages. The finally chapter left me wondering how it even made sense. Lou was so absolutely in love with Vic, bit a couple months after she dies he's basically shaking up with the FBI agent? Excuse me, but no, that made absolutely no sense after spending 700 pages explaining how tied to each other these two characters are emotionally.

I likely will skip all other Hill books as they're too much like King, which is slow and superfluous.

happyladyjadereads's review against another edition

Child abuse was more difficult to read than anticipated but the actual writing still great

mattotheratto's review against another edition

adventurous dark tense medium-paced

donegal's review against another edition

dark reflective medium-paced

sparky_young_upstart's review

adventurous dark emotional mysterious reflective sad tense slow-paced

caidyn's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

CW: rape, sexual assault, kidnapping, murder, child death, child abuse, drug use, mental illness, and general violence

Apparently, all it took was trying multiple of Hill's books (including this one) a few times and also buddy reading one with my very good friend to finally find a book I like by this author. I mean, I've tried him so many times with so many books that this was a last-ditch effort. And I really enjoyed it!

I like how the book was split up and it felt like there were multiple climaxes in it. A first with Vic when she was a kid, then another when she was an adult. I also found Bing ten times freakier than Manx. Honestly, he was scarier to me because he was so unhinged, although that's what Manx profited off of. Then, there's the vampire mythos of it almost being like an energy vampire, so that was fun.

I think the only thing that was a pro and a con was that it piggybacked so much off his dad's works. In my opinion, that's the double-edged sword for Hill. On one hand, it's fun to see him linking his books in with his father's creations and seeing little Easter eggs in that regard. It also comforts me because I know that Hill will take charge of his dad's unfinished manuscripts when he eventually dies and will be able to keep it going for a while. On the other hand, I wish that Hill was more of his own person and didn't rely on those little things. Again, a double-edged sword that is both good and bad.

So, overall, I did enjoy it. I'm glad that I liked this and can feel confident that I'll try some of his books again. Maybe not Horns since I've tried it twice already and DNFed both times, but I will try him again in the future.

booksthatburn's review against another edition

dark mysterious sad tense medium-paced

NOS4A2 is smartly written, insightful, reflects an understanding of inner life... and is a spiraling well of darkness and depravity so deep that I had to take a several month break before finishing it. A horror novel, both damn good and deeply disturbing.

Horror is not my usual genre (and reading this book on my lunch break was a TERRIBLE idea), but I am glad that I read this book, and I am optimistic that I'll like more books by this author, as I hadn't read his work before. If you like horror, I recommend it. If you aren't sure, give it a try, but don't try to push through if it stresses you out too much because it will NOT let up.

*Updating my review to say that after thinking more about the ableism surrounding a secondary character's stutter (difficulty speaking is treated as part of the horror), and killing a character immediately after heavily implying that they're queer, I no longer highly recommend this, but if you already like horror you might enjoy it.