NOS4A2, by Joe Hill

bookexplorer's review against another edition

Such high expectations, but such a low rating. 😪I loved the concept for this book but ended up not enjoying the execution very much.

The characters were quite interesting, but unfortunately the plot dragged hard. I found myself just waiting and waiting for the ending, but it seemed like the book was in the same place for an eternity. And honestly, maybe I’m a cynic but I really (spoiler ahead!!) wish that Wayne was forever corrupt and the book to end with hints of him making another Christmas land.

nogglization's review against another edition

Riveting, atmospheric, imaginative, and an amazing lead woman. All of the stars.

Perfect. So sad it’s over—book hangover is real. Made me feel like a kid again with pure excitement and all consuming engrossment.

NOS4A2 hints at vampires (Nosferatu), but it’s more faux vamp, and the main villain, Charlie Manx has dementor-like qualities. Major Nightmare Before Christmas meets Zombieland vibes with Christmasland and gingerbread gas. Loved the homages to the SK universe.

Better than some Stephen King books. (*cough*Elevation*cough*)

Can’t wait for the AMC adaptation coming out June 2nd!

Will be recommending this book to everyone.

nkrajnovich's review against another edition

Best of his books so far. I had difficulty putting it down, very well written story. I was a little nervous that it was going to be gory, but I'd say he had the creepiness factor set at perfect. You can definitely tell he has his parents' gift for writing.

carminab's review against another edition

This is the first horror novel that I picked up, wanting to try something new and I love it. I love Vic Mcqueen as the main character, although she is deeply flawed herself however, I cannot help but root for her. I enjoy the build-up with Bing Patridge wanting to visit Christmas Land. The steps he took to be on the nice list. Overall Joe Hill’s writing style is perfect and concise, it was easy to follow along with everything that was happening. I cannot wait to read more of his novels.

jessejane306's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced

majikal's review against another edition

challenging dark tense medium-paced

somanytictoc's review against another edition

Definitely between a 4 and 5 star rating, but I couldn't convince myself to round up.

Joe Hill is a fantastic writer, and all of the comparisons to his father Stephen King are apt. This is the third book I've read, and they're all very good. The only work I would place above this novel is his short novel "Loaded" from the Strange Weather collection.

Why isn't this a 5?
- The book could have been a hair shorter than 700 pages. I'd probably put it at 600 if I were his editor.
- While he builds a great villain (and perhaps the sidekick, Bing, is even better), the protagonist Vic is a little flat. I wanted to care more about her than I did by the end.
- Some of the breadcrumbs that Hill places throughout the early/middle parts of the book don't exactly lead to a satisfying payoff. In short, the ending is a little less connected to the rest of the book than I had hoped for, and it's a little more predictable than I liked. It feels in a way like Hill ran out of steam.

Regardless, some of the action scenes are thrilling, and the characterization is largely well-developed. I never quite felt bored, even after reading it for nearly a month. I'd definitely recommend this book to fans of the genre, and I will absolutely read anything Joe Hill puts out there.

alisonwilson894's review against another edition

How I ever doubted this book is beyond me. I can confidently say this book will stick with me for the rest of my life and is pretty damn close to being my ultimate favorite. While reading this book, I woke up each morning with a new Christmas song stuck in my head. As I write this, Christmas commercials are appearing more frequently as we approach Thanksgiving and every time I shudder. Snowmen will now give me the creeps. I will never be able to hear Bing Crosby the same. This book creeped me out to the point where I fell madly in love with it.

frogggirl2's review against another edition

There are lots of good things about this book and only minor quibbles. Joe Hill really knows how to write women and the exploration of motherhood in this book is really on point. There are lots of little gems, hidden throughout this book; random insights into existence in the middle of this genre book that caught me off guard. The characters are compelling, the story is unique and interesting and the writing is strong. Minor quibbles: Like "The Fireman," this is just a little bit longer than it needs to be - it does drag a little in the middle. Also, the bad guys are horrendous so it's not out of character but I was still a bit annoyed by the sexism/rape discussions throughout. I can see a version of this book that is just as good where this was omitted.

kimberly_blotevogel89's review against another edition

The perfect creepy/festive holiday read. In a word: Bad-Ass.