Shine Like the Dawn by Carrie Turansky

michellef's review against another edition

`Shine like the Dawn` is a historical fiction novel written by author Carrie Turansky. I am reading and reviewing an uncorrected proof of the novel. The novel is due to be published February 21,2017, Carrie Turansky is an award-winning author of more than a dozen novels and novellas.

The year is 1903, four years after the death of Maggie's mom, dad, and older sister. Maggie thinks it was a set-up and she is planning to find out who-did-it. Maggie and her sister, Violet, stay at their grandmother's house until Nate moves the family into his estate.

The setting of the estate is beautiful gardens, two large lakes, several carriage drives, and myriad stone paths. Birds called from tall evergreens and the sound of rushing water could be heard coming from a nearby stream.

This novel is a must-read for fans of historical fiction with a bit of mystery and suspense.

Disclaimer: "I was provided a free copy of this book. All opinions are my own."

annag77's review against another edition

2.5 stars. I feel bad for rating this book low as I really enjoyed the other books that I have read by Turansky. However, I did not particularly like or relate to the main character, Maggie, and it was a little frustrating reading from her POV. She seemed a bit self absorbed, and was quick to whine, judge, or blame everyone else for things throughout most of the story. She didn’t seem particularly kind or have qualities that would make me understand why the H was attracted to her. I liked Nate, who was sweet, but it seemed like he often let others walk all over him. Grandma was a great character though!

melissasbookshelf's review against another edition

I enjoyed the audiobook version of this latest Carrie Turansky novel. The narrator really brought each character to life. The setting, mystery, and romance were really good. I sometimes got upset with Maggie and her stubbornness, but liked her character as the story went on.

missemmaj's review against another edition

A nice, clean, great story. :)

ela_35's review against another edition

I liked this book, it was light and I liked the plot.

I liked that there were things that happened in this book and that the characters had to sort things out. For example, I liked how Maggie and Nate talked to each other as they begun to trust each other. I really liked how it wasn’t like in most books where there is an instant connection but that the characters actually had to talk to each other to build a relationship.

The only thing I didn’t like was the blindness in this book. The constant ‘we’ve just lost everything but it will all be fine because God is with us’. It wasn’t as in-your-face as I thought it would be, which I appreciated. But I didn’t like the instant forgiveness and the attitude of ‘don’t do anything, fairness will come on its own’.

This book surprised me in a good way and I might read more books by this author.

nataliesboooks's review against another edition

Part historical fiction, Part mystery, Part romance...this novel has it all! This was my first Carrie Turansky novel and I enjoyed it a lot.

Maggie was a great character. She's smart and independent and determined to find the truth about the death of her parents. I enjoyed Nate a lot too as he tried to adjust to the role of patriarch. Little Violet was cute.

Overall an enjoyable historical novel that was pretty well written. I will have to check out some other books by this author.

longtimereader's review against another edition

Starting with an accident that didn't make sense, and really frustrated me, Maggie finds herself and her youngest sister the sole survivors. Without anywhere else to live, they live with their Grandmother in a millenary shop. (That is a hat shop for those who aren't use to that term.) Maggie and her Grandmother make hats for the wealthy ladies who are having their daughters out on season, to find husbands. It's a living, although it's often a tight one. Customers can be very fickle and compation stiff. They are getting by, but that is about all.

Before the accident, Nate was the guy of Maggie's dreams. Then he vanished. Now he is back, and Maggie is dealing with a flood of emotions. Nate's father did some things that seem to be very underhanded to Maggie and her anger is overflowing. Nate is just hurt, and confused, because some puzzle pieces are missing. All he did was come home, a war hero, but he is home to deal with his father's impending death.

Why will Maggie not forgive him and what happened that he doesn't know about? Why is Maggie's family dead? It doesn't add up, and she was there, for the most part. Their deaths, and the death of her middle sister, is against all logic, but don't give up! Keep reading. The road to solving what happened to Maggie's family is going to draw her and Nate together, and closer to God, or tear them apart even more than they were before.

I enjoyed the nice selection of both the upper and "lower" classes in this book. I was rooting for Nate, and felt badly for Maggie. Her emotions, though incorrect, were easy to understand under her circumstances. Trust, faith, forgiveness, allowing God to work in ways you don't get at first, romance, grief, healing, all these topics and then some are in this one book. I enjoyed it. It's a good read for escaping to another story set in a time that is no longer our own, and yet still reaches into emotions and complicates that are present day.

Shine Like the Dawn does mange to shine, and I would recommend it as a good clean read for anyone who likes period stories, or appreciates descriptive settings, and good mystery plots.

My copy came from Celebrate Lit. My thoughts and opinions are my own. This review was left of my own free volition.

kaitlin_dunford's review against another edition

It had a few sweet moments, but overall I found it lacking.

rachearl's review against another edition

Great storyline with charming characters.

booksforchristiangirls's review against another edition

About this book:

“Separated by an inconceivable tragedy, can faith and love reunite childhood friends and light the way to a bright future?
In a quiet corner of northern Edwardian England, Margaret Lounsbury diligently works in her grandmother's millinery shop, making hats and caring for her young sister. Several years earlier, a terrible event reshaped their family, shattering an idyllic life and their future prospects. Maggie is resilient and will do what she must to protect her sister Violet. Still, the loss of her parents weighs heavily on her heart because she wonders if what happened that day on the lake...might not have been an accident.
When wealthy inventor and industrialist William Harcourt dies, his son and Maggie's estranged childhood friend, Nathaniel returns from his time in the Royal Navy and inherits his father's vast estate, Morningside Manor. He also assumes partial control of his father's engineering company and the duty of repaying an old debt to the Lounsbury family. But years of separation between Nate and Maggie have taken a toll and Maggie struggles to trust her old friend.
Can Maggie let go of the resentment that keeps her from forgiving Nate--and reconciling with God? Will the search for the truth about her parents' death draw the two friends closer or leave them both with broken hearts?”

Series: As of now, no.

Spiritual Content- Psalm 37:5-6 at the beginning; Many Prayers; Church going, Hymns are sung & a sermon; A bit of Witnessing; Scriptures are mentioned, quoted, & talked about; Many talks about God, faiths, prayers & trusting Him; ‘H’s are capital when referring to God; Maggie is mad at and feels hurt by God & believes He doesn’t hear her prayers *Spoiler*
When she does pray, Maggie doesn’t think God wants to hear from her; Maggie does pray 2/3s in that she wants to believe and opens her heart
*End of Spoiler*; Many mentions of God; Many mentions of prayers & praying; Many mentions of churches, church going, a reverend & sermons; Mentions of Bibles, books of the Bible & Bible reading; Mentions of God’s will, forgiveness & His peace; Mentions of Heaven, faiths, spiritual awakenings & going to God; Mentions of blessings & being blessed; Mentions of missionaries; Mentions of sermons on condemning people & hellfire; Mentions of sins; A couple mentions of Thanking God; A mention of divine provision;
*Note: A couple mentions of superstitions & a magician.

Negative Content- Minor cussing including: a ‘Blast!’ and a form of ‘dumb’; Eye rolling; A few mentions of curses (said, not written); A couple mentions of sarcasm; Being hit, pain, blood, & stitches (up to semi-detailed); Guns aimed and shot along with blood (up to semi-detailed); A fire & smoke (up to semi-detailed); Many mentions of deaths, drownings & what could have been murders along with accusing (barely-above-not-detailed); Many mentions of lies, threats & blackmail; Mentions of pain, being hit, blood, screams, injuries, being hit by a car & accidents (up to semi-detailed); Mentions of illnesses, dying & deaths (barely-above-not-detailed); Mentions of the war & prisoners; Mentions of going to jail, prison or being hanged & illegal actions; Mentions of a fire & smoke; Mentions of mobs & threats of strikes and violence; Mentions of game & hunting; Mentions of gossip; A few mentions of stealing & feeling like a thief; A couple mentions of a drinking gambler; A couple mentions of pubs; A mention of a robbery; A mention of pipe smoke.

Sexual Content- a hand kiss, four cheek kisses, two forehead/head kisses, two barely-above-not-detailed kisses & a semi-detail kiss; Touches, Tingles & Embraces (up to semi-detailed); Noticing; Mentions of hinted affairs & advances; Mentions of hand holding & blushes; Mentions of having feelings & being attraction for someone; A few mentions of a child born out of wedlock; A few mentions of kisses & kissing; A few mentions of reputations & chaperones; A couple mentions of looks of longing; A couple mentions of finger kisses; Love, falling in love & the emotions;
*Note: A few mentions of a women’s’ figures & curves.

-Margaret “Maggie” Lounsbury, age 21
-Nathaniel “Nate” Harcourt, age 24
P.O.V. switches between them & Lilly
Set in 1903 {Prologue set in 1899}
320 pages

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Pre Teens- One Star
New Teens- Two Stars
Early High School Teens- Three Stars (and a half)
Older High School Teens- Four Stars (and a half)
My personal Rating- Four Stars (and a half)
Ahh. I just adore Carrie Turansky’s beautiful writing! Like her previous historical series, the faiths and prayers were incredible and inspiring in “Shine Like the Dawn”. Honestly, this is such a pretty book! From the stunning cover and the Scripture inspired title (Psalm 37:5-6) to the intriguing plot! I so love and appreciate how clean this talented author’s books are and have been impressed every time I pick one up.
Maybe it’s because Nathaniel is one of my favorite boy names ever, but I found this Nate to be one of the best & most life-like/real heroes I’ve ever read. Maggie could be a bit too stubborn at times, but I understood where she was coming from, so it didn’t bother me. ;)
{Everything that says up to semi-detailed, was truly barely over the barely-above-not-detailed scale. So, so clean.}
I thought seeing one couple falling in love was neat, but I really liked the added romance of Lilly & Rob being engaged and in love by seeing her point of view. Such a neat bonus! :)

Link to review:

*BFCG may (Read the review to see) recommend this book by this author. It does not mean I recommend all the books by this author.
*I received this book for free from the Author for this honest review.