Reviews tagging Physical abuse

Get a Life, Chloe Brown, by Talia Hibbert

anger566's review

funny lighthearted medium-paced

Really loved the representation, the conflict was predictable but I liked the ending.

theakilahbrown's review

funny hopeful slow-paced

I appreciated (a lot!) that this book has a main character with chronic pain, and I loved seeing the daily realities of that reflected in the book, but this book had major pacing issues for me. The first half of the book seems to take place in three days (five?) and then the characters love each other, and I just couldn't figure out when in time everything was. Also, this felt like a long read and--even though I was doing screen-free Saturday--I kept putting it down to do something else.

Things I liked:
- both main characters
- Gigi
- almost all of the dialogue
- that the author noted women can 100% be physically and emotionally abusive towards men AND that she called it abuse

There's also a decent smut factor, if you're into that sort of thing. I think most romance fans would probably like it.

stardust_heidi's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

This book is like cuddling up with a soft, fluffy blanket —if the blanket were filled with sharp, witty humor, precious endearments, and some sexy pining.
The first time I read this, I listened to the audiobook -- this time I wanted to mark every ridiculously delightful sentence, but alas. I didn't have my page markers handy.
The chronic illness rep is amazing: as someone who is able bodied and also works in physical therapy, it really shone a eye-opening light onto a life of someone who lives with chronic illness and how much of a roller coaster it actually is.
Red and Chloe -- UGH. I LOVE THEM. I just love them.
SpoilerI often wish romance books didn't need to have that one defining moment of conflict, because after a while, the reasons get quite predictable. (And is it so bad to want the two to just be happy together?) However, both Chloe and Red have their own traumas and shit that goes real deep, and I think Talia Hibbert did a great job at showing them at points of panic and past lies rushing in -- and then healing. It wasn't an immediate apology and acceptance, and BOTH of them had to step back for a few days to realign their heads. Imo, it's done really well -- it's at least satisfying to me, but I'm easy to please, lmao. And in the end, conflict helps create character growth and depth to a story, and a life with only rainbows isn't reality.

bookdsolid's review

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

tabula_risa's review

funny lighthearted fast-paced

pandalesque's review against another edition

emotional funny reflective

cemeterygay's review

emotional funny fast-paced

This was a pretty great romance book but the sheer amount of miscommunication just killed me.

It's a cute and fun romance with a great sense of humor that is written so cleverly.

The best part of this book is Hibbert's writing style. With the exception of a few bizarre word choices during sex scenes, the way Talia Hibbert writes is always so enjoyable. The balance between humor and description works fantastically and the jokes keep the pace quick enough to keep your attention. The detail to the romantic scenes is always so great and sweet.

Before I get into the other aspects I adore in this book, I need to take a moment two express the only strong issues I have with this book. One, the sheer amount of miscommunication killed me. Watching two grown adults have the communication skills of two teenagers in their first high school romance hurt me so deeply. The only positive about this is that it is over relatively quickly so it doesn't take up too much of the book. Two, I think Red is a pretty meh love interest. He's okay, I like the vibes but is very much outshone by Chloe.

I cannot highlight how much I adore the cast but particularly Chloe Brown. Chloe is just such an amazing main protagonist. She has such a distinct personality and has a charm that really makes you want to root for her. I love the way both disability and past instances of abuse are talked about. I adore Chloe's relationships with her family and Hibbert does a fantastic job at writing family dynamics specifically sisters. It is an underrated skill but one that Hibbert has absolutely mastered.

The romance in this book just is so great and I love the framing of Chloe's list.

Overall, I would absolutely recommend this book to both lovers of romance and people getting into romance.

ainhoalikesbooksandmangos's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective medium-paced

Sooo... I finished the book. And I kind of hit it a couple of times against my bed. I think is a good reaction,  don't ask me  why. Well, first of all,  this is the first book that I have annotated, so that was a lot of fun. Second  of all, Red is just my type. So when I read his description I died. It's easy to guess that I really liked him, and just wanted to take him out of the book,  because he was so cute and nice and aaahhhh. I also really enjoyed reading his perspective. Anyway, I also  really resonated with Chloe, because we basically have similar traumas hahaha. Even though we are really  different, I found her character really  likable. But kind of painful at times, because we have similar personalities, and seeing how I act around people from other perspective made me want to die. But yeah. In the other hand, I think that I overhyped this book to myself. I made someone bring this to me from a different country (Thanks aunty 😘) , which took  a long time, and made me be more excited  than normal. And  it's  my first book of the year so, I overhyped it. But I liked it  a lot . Now holding it in my hands it feels kinda weird that I finally read it. Like it has more story to tell, you know? But not in a bad way, more like we couldn accompany them in them in their relationship. Like they  have more things to show, and it's not just done when you finish the book. They felt  that real. I also really like
Spoiler the conflict they have at the end. Find it really  entertaining, dramatic, and well planned  for the story. I felt like "playing" with their trauma, was a interesting and really smart and well planned plot  move. I really  enjoyed it an suffered with it. Had me at the edgeof my seat , and made the ending past flying by.
And taking about her writing. Hibbert had really beautiful description in here. Made me feel like to show it ,to those people how say romance book are not an art. And also to want to read one of those literally books, that I don't  seem to enjoy that much, if it was from Hibbert. I'm  happy to support a writer like her.
Well, you know the book is good, when you're reading it an feel lonely  as heck.  So for that reason,  it didn't felt right to give  it less than 4 stars. I plan  on reading the rest of the series, and I hope it lives me more satisfied. I also have heard that the last one is the best one, but I will see that for myself.
Now it feels wrong to put it away on  my shelf. This book  feels kinda of alive,  for how many love I have poured  into it and has given back.
Well, that's all!
Bye!
__________________
I forgot to coment how I love the representation in the characters.
The need for disabled, poc, and plus size character as protagonists is real people. And I think, in my ignorant opinion, that it was done with a lot of respect.
Also loved, how Red is the representation for men how have survived abusive relationship, and are dealing with in healthy ways like therapy!
And lastly but not less important the QUEEN HERSELF GIGI WHO I LOVE FOREVER. The bisexuality (maybe??) Queen she is. Might say i even love her more than Red (I now remember, how much i cackled when I read the thingbabout his name and his hair. I didn't realizedit before they talk about it).

gnuoymas's review

adventurous funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

4.5 stars!!!

what CANT i say about this book! it was chucked full of fun flirty romance, fantastic representation (a straight man going to therapy of his own will??? unheard of), and steamy sessi time!!! WHAT MORE COULD YOU WANT!!! i cried, i squealed, i laughed, and i loved with these characters as their relationship grew! tbh i’m glad that the drama wasn’t too big of a drama, it was nice because it felt realistic. anyway, ON TO THE NEXT SISTER!!!!

stiggins9's review