Reviews tagging Toxic friendship

Get a Life, Chloe Brown, by Talia Hibbert

bansheebooks's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

I can totally see why a ton of people love this. It's a very wholesome romance that I think is just supposed to make the reader feel good. The characters are all good people who want the best for each other. There was nothing 'wrong' with the plot or characters.

It's not perfect for me because it didn't emotionally hit me like it has for others but definitely a good book with no glaring issues.

Also the way it handles abuse and shitty partners is very good. I don't or am not close with anyone with a chronic illness but I can imagine how much Chloe meant to a lot of readers who can relate to her on that front.

The audiobook narrator did not match well with the tone of this book however.

mariekejee's review

funny lighthearted medium-paced

Funny, sexy, heart-warming. What more do you want in a romance?

I'm not a big fan of the romance genre, but every once in a while it's nice to turn off your brain and just enjoy some fluff or smut. This book has both, and does both pretty well. I tried the book once and was turned off immediately by the way the main character talks - she is very posh, and British, and odd. I tried it again and due to the fact I was stuck on my flight with nothing to entertain me but my phone stuck on airplane mode, I was able to power through and get used to it and to Chloe, our main character.

The only complaint I have is that the latter half of this book, like many romances, just doesn't really do it for me. There always needs to be some big misunderstanding that can easily be solved by just fucking talking to eachother that drives the story to its completion, and I get it, but it still annoys me. Also,
Spoilerthese people fall in love like it's nothing, and that threw me off as well
. Also also, I dislike this trope of the love interest having some blue collar job he secretly hates but actually being a very talented artist that isn't making his money off of his art because of XYZ (looking at you, The Kiss Quotient). At least our MC enjoys being a superintendent and doesn't secretly hate his job. But please, romance writers, a love interest can sometimes just be a plumber that just likes his job and doesn't have any great ambitions to be on Forbes' 30 under 30 list.

That said, I think this romance was very well done. I believed every part of it, and I wasn't annoyed by the will-they-won't-they, because unlike the typical "two hot people believing the other person just is too perfect and doesn't actually like them like that" spiel, they actually have some meaningful conflict to overcome. I enjoyed my time with this book thoroughly, and I'd like to see what Talia Hibbert has in store for Dani in Take a Hint, Dani Brown.

ale_rodriquez's review against another edition

funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

monicas_readinglist's review against another edition

funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

stardustandrockets's review

amivireads's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

Loved it and can’t wait to read the rest of the series.

theliteraryphoenix's review against another edition

hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

Get a Life, Chloe Brown is a good book for its genre, as far as I can tell.

It’s also very much not my genre.  Very much.  I’ll explain why in a bit, but I wanted to start with the good stuff.

First of all, both Chloe Brown and Talia Hibbert are Black women who experience chronic pain.  While I do not and therefore am not adequately equipped to give an accurate estimation of how well this story illustrates a true-life experience, I do have faith that Hibbert’s life experience informed her writing of Chloe.  Characters written by members of the community who have lived experiences are always better.

The characters are all distinct and have their own needs and motivations.  In romances, sometimes a single party ends up flat and objectified (the “Prince Charming” effect) and it’s good to see two fleshed out individuals in this relationship.  Chloe’s sarcasm is well woven through the story and is presented both as an aspect of her personality and as a defense mechanism.  I appreciated the three-dimensional view of her challenges and successes!

While the plot feels a bit cliché since it’s a checklist-driven romance, it is nonetheless cute in many ways, and the plot itself is really just the vehicle to represent the growth of this relationship and Chloe’s ascent into the person she wants to be.  Hibbert was careful to express the division between Red being a romantic interest and being a “savior” character, and I think the distinction is important.  These boundaries keep the relationship healthy.

Here’s why I didn’t like the book… and why many other people probably will.  It’s quite steamyHibbert doesn’t hold back on sexual content at all.  If the characters are feeling something, you definitely know it.  Because of who I am, this type of story doesn’t resonate with me and if anything made me uncomfortable, but objectively I can see how Hibbert did a good job here. Early in the book it’s very much a rom-com style story, and then as things progress… well… things progress.  There were some dramatic descriptions, but not too many, and the situation was immersive yet appropriately timed.  Not my cup of tea, but I know there’s a huge readership for books with explicit sexual content like Get a Life, Chloe Brown and I’m happy for Hibbert’s success.

As a whole, I am not going to pick up another book by Talia Hibbert, but that’s entirely because I now know her corner of the market is not one I typically enjoy.  That said, if you are into adult romances, I highly recommend picking this book up!  But know that it’s quite graphic in places – it can be shocking if you’re not prepared.

annaonthemoon's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful medium-paced

This book made me feel very single, thank you very much.
I appreciated that there are both his and her POV so we got double the sexual tension.
The story doesn't revolve exclusively around the romance but there are some other minor storyline that kept things interesting. The third act conflict was kinda ridiculous and put there just to add 50 more pages, I just despise when the argument comes from misunderstanding and lack of communication but it's not dragged for very long so I can close an eye on this. It was all very sweet, you can see that they really care about each other and the sex scene were fabulous.

missiluiza's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

Não sou de reler nada, mas assim que terminei de ler no ano passado já fiquei com saudade dos personagens. Me surpreende que tenha demorado tanto pra ler de novo - mas valeu a pena, porque eu já tinha esquecido os detalhes e amei tudo de novo

emilycollins0910's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

I want love like theirs