Reviews tagging Abandonment

Get a Life, Chloe Brown, by Talia Hibbert

cemeterygay's review

emotional funny fast-paced

This was a pretty great romance book but the sheer amount of miscommunication just killed me.

It's a cute and fun romance with a great sense of humor that is written so cleverly.

The best part of this book is Hibbert's writing style. With the exception of a few bizarre word choices during sex scenes, the way Talia Hibbert writes is always so enjoyable. The balance between humor and description works fantastically and the jokes keep the pace quick enough to keep your attention. The detail to the romantic scenes is always so great and sweet.

Before I get into the other aspects I adore in this book, I need to take a moment two express the only strong issues I have with this book. One, the sheer amount of miscommunication killed me. Watching two grown adults have the communication skills of two teenagers in their first high school romance hurt me so deeply. The only positive about this is that it is over relatively quickly so it doesn't take up too much of the book. Two, I think Red is a pretty meh love interest. He's okay, I like the vibes but is very much outshone by Chloe.

I cannot highlight how much I adore the cast but particularly Chloe Brown. Chloe is just such an amazing main protagonist. She has such a distinct personality and has a charm that really makes you want to root for her. I love the way both disability and past instances of abuse are talked about. I adore Chloe's relationships with her family and Hibbert does a fantastic job at writing family dynamics specifically sisters. It is an underrated skill but one that Hibbert has absolutely mastered.

The romance in this book just is so great and I love the framing of Chloe's list.

Overall, I would absolutely recommend this book to both lovers of romance and people getting into romance.

ainhoalikesbooksandmangos's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective medium-paced

Sooo... I finished the book. And I kind of hit it a couple of times against my bed. I think is a good reaction,  don't ask me  why. Well, first of all,  this is the first book that I have annotated, so that was a lot of fun. Second  of all, Red is just my type. So when I read his description I died. It's easy to guess that I really liked him, and just wanted to take him out of the book,  because he was so cute and nice and aaahhhh. I also really enjoyed reading his perspective. Anyway, I also  really resonated with Chloe, because we basically have similar traumas hahaha. Even though we are really  different, I found her character really  likable. But kind of painful at times, because we have similar personalities, and seeing how I act around people from other perspective made me want to die. But yeah. In the other hand, I think that I overhyped this book to myself. I made someone bring this to me from a different country (Thanks aunty 😘) , which took  a long time, and made me be more excited  than normal. And  it's  my first book of the year so, I overhyped it. But I liked it  a lot . Now holding it in my hands it feels kinda weird that I finally read it. Like it has more story to tell, you know? But not in a bad way, more like we couldn accompany them in them in their relationship. Like they  have more things to show, and it's not just done when you finish the book. They felt  that real. I also really like
Spoiler the conflict they have at the end. Find it really  entertaining, dramatic, and well planned  for the story. I felt like "playing" with their trauma, was a interesting and really smart and well planned plot  move. I really  enjoyed it an suffered with it. Had me at the edgeof my seat , and made the ending past flying by.
And taking about her writing. Hibbert had really beautiful description in here. Made me feel like to show it ,to those people how say romance book are not an art. And also to want to read one of those literally books, that I don't  seem to enjoy that much, if it was from Hibbert. I'm  happy to support a writer like her.
Well, you know the book is good, when you're reading it an feel lonely  as heck.  So for that reason,  it didn't felt right to give  it less than 4 stars. I plan  on reading the rest of the series, and I hope it lives me more satisfied. I also have heard that the last one is the best one, but I will see that for myself.
Now it feels wrong to put it away on  my shelf. This book  feels kinda of alive,  for how many love I have poured  into it and has given back.
Well, that's all!
Bye!
__________________
I forgot to coment how I love the representation in the characters.
The need for disabled, poc, and plus size character as protagonists is real people. And I think, in my ignorant opinion, that it was done with a lot of respect.
Also loved, how Red is the representation for men how have survived abusive relationship, and are dealing with in healthy ways like therapy!
And lastly but not less important the QUEEN HERSELF GIGI WHO I LOVE FOREVER. The bisexuality (maybe??) Queen she is. Might say i even love her more than Red (I now remember, how much i cackled when I read the thingbabout his name and his hair. I didn't realizedit before they talk about it).

thewyvern's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted slow-paced

I am not used to adult books at all, so this was stepping outside my comfort zone. Overall, I do really recommend this book to anyone who loves romance books. I am definitely going to check out the rest of the Brown Sisters trilogy soon.

gnuoymas's review

adventurous funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

4.5 stars!!!

what CANT i say about this book! it was chucked full of fun flirty romance, fantastic representation (a straight man going to therapy of his own will??? unheard of), and steamy sessi time!!! WHAT MORE COULD YOU WANT!!! i cried, i squealed, i laughed, and i loved with these characters as their relationship grew! tbh i’m glad that the drama wasn’t too big of a drama, it was nice because it felt realistic. anyway, ON TO THE NEXT SISTER!!!!

wrhanson1's review

adventurous funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

Really enjoyed this read. The characters and dialog felt real. The dual POV was done really well and I found myself looking forward to seeing how the other would be interpreting the situation I was currently reading about. This does heavily include the miscommunication trope, however the reason it is happening feels extremely understandable, to the point that I actually didn't mind it the way I usually would.

SpoilerFYI: there is a 3rd act breakup. If you aren't into that (like myself) beware. But it resolves very quickly.

ayah_reads's review

emotional funny lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

Ahhhh this BOOK REMINDS ME THAT BIPOC ROMCOMS WRITTEN BY BIPOC AUTHORS ARE LITERALLY THE GREATEST THING ON THIS EARTH.

This was so much fun, it's such a quick read, I ate so much of it up when I should have been doing my finals for uni 🤣 It also has this depth to it, main characters that actually communicate!!! A character (and a guy at that) that actually seeks and attends therapy!! Content warnings at the beginning of the book!! Causal representation of multiple things 🙌🙌🙌

Like everything I would want in a romcom. The only thing that stops it from getting 5 stars is that I kinda fell out of it towards the end, which is totally on me, I read so much of the book while I should have been doing uni that I had to do the opposite to actually do my work 🤣🤣

It seems like a lot of people felt the ending was rushed, maybe it was the way I read it but I wasn't fussed by it. That end conflict needed to happen because we had both characters that have pasts they needed to work through, so it was bound to happen and also important that it did so we can see these characters go through that. I will say for a stretch of the middle/end of the book, things are veryyyy happy and you can just feel like something is going to happen and it comes a lot later. So in that sense I can how it could be rushed because more time could have been devoted to it.

But that's literally so minor, this book is fantastic, believe the hype, I'm so glad these books blew up and I'm so ready to read the other books when I need a wonderful romcom to dive into.

alexhaydon's review

funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective fast-paced

enchante's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

ale_rodriquez's review against another edition

funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

gab00bee's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced