Get a Life, Chloe Brown, by Talia Hibbert

akmargie's review

As charming and fun as advertised. I've been really getting into contemporary romances lately and this one is another gem. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

sofie_bakke's review

"So I'm doing it for you because that's how people should behave; they should fill in each other's gaps."

"You were hurt, and you reacted. You were in an unhealthy situation in more ways than one, and you panicked and cleansed everything with fire. Don't dismiss your emotions and your self-protection as just a fucked-up decision. Don't reduce something so complex and real and important to nothing."

"I watched because...when you paint," she said softly. "You seem so vital. It was addictive. It felt like coming to life."

"And then Chloe would be forced to remember all the things she'd lost, and to wonder, for the thousandth time, what it was about her that made her so easy to leave."

aloy_all_along's review against another edition

emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

sara_004's review

funny hopeful reflective fast-paced

anger566's review

funny lighthearted medium-paced

Really loved the representation, the conflict was predictable but I liked the ending.

torischmidt35's review

emotional funny medium-paced

jazzyteereads's review

A love story starring a plus sized black woman where her weight ISNT the focus?? Count me in. This was such a cute and sexy read. I finished it the very next day. I couldn’t put it down. I fell in love with these characters and now I’m desperately seeking my own Red.

I loved how the author tackled both of their struggles. It was all realistic. I was so proud of them both for what they accomplished.

I swear, if this is ever turned into a romcom...I’d be all for it.

priss's review

3.5/5. Really cute and fun. I thought the sexy scenes were a bit too explicit for my tastes, but I think that's just a matter of preference. The story was cute and I thought the story progressed naturally. Recommend it if you don't mind some explicit content :)

jesikasbookshelf's review against another edition

Representation is so important. Often it isn't there, and even when it is it is as the token "someone" or the author just gets it all wrong. I'm sick of reading books with background characters that have conditions like mine and are pitiable, oh so helpless and someone the main character does a good turn by being a decent person.

Chloe Brown has conditions like mine. She has symptoms that read like a full house bingo sheet of mine. And I read this book without feeling sad, angry or impossibly frustrated with my own body. This book reflected back a person with an entire personality who was done being defined by her illness. It felt so realistic to me - much more so than depictions wherein the person who is ill and ok with it never admits that is constantly just under the surface for them.

On top of all that, this book was funny. It was romantic, steamy and it had a cute cat in it. Red is utter goals and hardly ever made me think about Red Forman. The romance of this book was wonderfully done and I am going to immediately start the next book.

ida_ree's review

Note: No longer putting stars on my reviews.

I don't generally read much romance, but I'm doing the Book Riot Read Harder Challenge and picked this one up for that reason. I enjoyed the two main characters here -- Chloe and Red -- and especially the fact that they broke out of the stereotypes for who gets to star in a story about about romantic relationships.

Chloe Brown's life has been limited, first by a disability, and then further by the fear she developed after the disability. When she has a near-death experience, and the life that flashes before her eyes is not much, she decides she needs to do more things. So she makes a list. My kind of protagonist. Along comes the extremely annoying superintendent at her new apartment complex, who, if she can stand him long enough, could actually help her check off some items from that list.

Because genre romance isn't really my cup of tea (no judgment on other readers who enjoy it), I did find myself skimming at times. Still, there was a lot of humor and warmth to make the story enjoyable.