Reviews tagging Police brutality

Unnatural Causes, by Richard Shepherd

melplays9000's review against another edition

challenging informative reflective medium-paced

Would definitely recommend this book. Dr Shepherd seems like a great man and I respect him very much after reading this. I feel like I played a small but important role in his story just by reading this book. I’m so glad I did, I loved how clinical it was but also included personal life. Great book, 5 Stars.

jen_abrahall's review against another edition

dark funny reflective medium-paced

I absolutely loved this book, despite the ‘big book fear’ i absolutely loved this one. i perhaps have an unhealthy interest in true crime but this left me satisfied that i’d understood the complexities of the cases from a pathological perspective. Admittedly a little graphic at times but i fear without this the enormity of Dr Shepard’s work and career would be lost on the reader. thoroughly interesting and enjoyable.

ymer's review

challenging dark emotional informative reflective slow-paced

aliceloyallaleon's review against another edition

dark emotional informative inspiring sad medium-paced

caitlin_43's review

challenging informative reflective medium-paced

bethsbookshelf's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional informative reflective sad tense fast-paced

hereshereads's review

informative reflective medium-paced

sheryl_marie_'s review

challenging informative reflective slow-paced

Categorising this book is complicated for the best of reasons. It is more than just a memoir. Unnatural Causes is a blend of personal reflection on marriage, fatherhood, mental health and on achievement and career success. It is a blend of true crime, science and recent historical events. It's written with honesty, openness and admiration for colleagues and personal heroes. It's written with great respect for the dead, their families, his own family and for procedure and justice. Unnatural Causes is absolutely fascinating.

Dr Richard Shepherd was a/the pathologist in a variety of well known cases; Joy Gardner, Stephen Lawrence, Lady Diana, Dr Harold Shipman, Derrick Bird. He was also a/the pathologist in a variety of major incidents; 9/11, Hungerford, terrorist attacks by Osama Bin Laden.

Dr Richard Shepherd was also instrumental, pivotal even, in the development of life saving policy and procedures regarding London's major incident plans and the safe restraint of people in custody.

Dr Richard Shepherd is also a calming force, a courageous and quiet man with a great sense of responsibility. He'saa man who admits his mistakes. He's a man who lives with PTSD, panic attacks and who isn't afraid to let the reader in.

Unnatural Causes is gripping, emotional, interesting and informative. It is macabre in parts and there are challenging sections but it's thoroughly enjoyable.

sophieduncan's review