andyreads's review

informative relaxing slow-paced

nancydrew's review

informative relaxing slow-paced

A diverting and interesting read, would have been helped by actual photographs instead of drawings.

artsybrea's review

informative

chockstarx96's review against another edition

Read this because I'm obsessed with the 99% Invisible podcast. The podcast is so much better than this book. Imagine instead of a 5 minute chapter, a 30 min to hour long episode where things go so much more in-depth, and relationships between ideas are built. If you are super into architecture, then I would highly recommend. If you aren't but you like backstories to why things in our built world are the way they are, then I would say go straight to the podcast and skip this one.

readswithfai's review

informative

bookishpriest's review

informative lighthearted fast-paced

Felt more like a collection of soundbites suitable to a coffee table book than a deeply-researched, informative piece of writing. This wouldn't be so bad but, as a long-time fan of the podcast that birthed this book, I'd already heard everything in it in far more detail in that other medium.

Roman Mars is a wonderful speaker and I would listen to him narrate just about anything. What a lovely voice!

triceratopper's review against another edition

An interesting look at bits and pieces that often go overlooked in cities around the globe.

I am a longtime 99% Invisible fan, and this book did justice to the topics that are covered in the podcast. Different in that they were shorter-form pieces, but very in line with the types of observations and subject matter that 99PI is known for.

The audiobook was superb; Roman Mars could make the phone book sound fascinating, so listening to him for nearly 10 hours was a treat.

fuzzy_feltz's review

informative slow-paced

Really interesting book, loved hearing all the stories and provides the breath which is a great accompaniment to the more in depth podcast

mcj's review