I Kissed Shara Wheeler, by Casey McQuiston

spelton27's review against another edition

*Arc provided by Netgalley and Wednesday Books in exchange for an honest review.*

Chloe Green moves from California to a very puritanical Alabama town and Christian academy. With weeks left until graduation Chloe is counting the days until she is hopefully declared valedictorian and can get out of that stuffy place. Only one thing stands between Chloe and her goal, Shara Wheeler the principle's daughter, and resident popular girl. Things seem pretty cut and dry until Shara kisses Chloe then vanishes. Now completely thrown off Chloe teams up with Shara's boyfriend Smith, and her next door neighbor Rory (both people she's also kissed before disappearing) to follow a set of clue's to Shara's whereabouts.

When the opportunity came up to read another Casey McQuiston book I had to jump at the chance as I loved Red, White, and Royal Blue. I Kissed Shara Wheeler though wasn't really what I was expecting. I haven't read John Greene's Paper Towns, but I knew immediately that was the book Chloe references, and that threw me off a bit referencing a book with such a similar plot. I didn't find Chloe to be a likeable protagonist and Shara an even less likeable love interest. This one just wasn't for me unfortunately, I would say it's probably good for Pretty Little Liars fans and most likely fans of Paper Towns.

celine_reads_books's review against another edition

emotional lighthearted mysterious

ashleyw13's review against another edition

funny hopeful medium-paced

kinahgrace's review against another edition

adventurous funny mysterious medium-paced

qwordyq's review against another edition

4.5 Rounded up. I was hesitant going into this being McQuiston's first YA novel and I was worried what that meant because people have ideas about what makes a book YA. I was pleasantly relieved though as I began reading a contemporary mystery filled with a variety of very well-developed characters that made me go through a wide range of emotions from hating some to then loving them later. They all had believable flaws and even at parts where I was wondering where the hell the adults were, it then made sense why they weren't doing jack shit for this so-called missing teen when we find out the reality of her disappearance. I was overall very happy with this one though I do think I like McQuiston's other books more but only by a little bit.

leslivresdelea's review against another edition

3,75✨

irisscar's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted mysterious fast-paced

Ojalá poder entregarle este libro a mi yo de 16 años.
Gracias a Casey por escribir más novelas románticas no trágicas adolescentes que la juventud queer necesita y que llevábamos tantos años pidiendo.
Tierna, graciosa... No sé, todo lo que queríamos que hubieran sido las series de nuestra adolescencia.

startjpw23's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious sad tense medium-paced

Loved the book. It kept me in suspense throughout.

alicel's review against another edition

adventurous funny fast-paced