Song of the Current, by Sarah Tolcser

chellcake's review

adventurous funny hopeful inspiring medium-paced

aira_reads's review

Maybe it's just me but how old is this character????

I seethed in silence. He'd done it on purpose, because he knew it would annoy me. Tarquin hadn't taken well to having a bucket of water dumped on his head

Who the fuck would??????

But, like the characters onward with their journey in the book, I persevered and from a meh it became an okay book.

Is it fast pace?
To an extent. (Super freaking slow at some bits)
Is it relatable?
If you try very, very hard to figure the probable math to relate. Then sure. Why not.
Is it fun?
Sure.
Is it memorable fun?
Not so sure.

It felt like it lacked in substance which is weird considering there's a lot of 5 star reviews here so maybe it's not my cup of tea but it could be yours.

Also can it be considered a plot twist if you knew what (or who) people say they were?

unapologetic_romantic's review

Did. Not. Finish.

This book was so slow, and I didn’t really know what was going on. I couldn’t get a sense for the characters or anything. I just couldn’t carry on

jeniecegoellner's review

This is a book that I should have liked. Female pirate, adventure, romance, finding your true self. But with all these great little bits, the book just didn't work on a whole. For every moment of enjoyable reading, there was a boring, long drawn out portion that didn't provide any forward movement to the book. The characters were strong, but the world building around them was lacking. This was the author's 1st book, and the ending showed some promise for a better 2nd book. So it might have just been the writer not quite having her full voice yet. I might borrow from the 2nd book from the library and give it a shot when it comes out, but I won't be going out of my way to buy it.

katdowney's review

Finally got arounds to reading Song of the Current (silver lining to quarantine)! This one was a fun adventure with interesting characters. I look forward to seeing what's next for Caro in Whisper of the Tide.

annotherpage's review

Love the cover tho.

skirchne's review

For the most part, this book was enjoyable. I liked the idea. However, a lot was happening in this short book and I felt the author tries to squeeze too much in. I didn't know how I got from scene to scene or where I was for the most of the book. The descriptions were hard to follow.

bookables's review

3 1/2

Overall a solid & very interesting fantasy read!

midniqhtr42's review

I think I waited too long to read this too. Not really my thing anymore. I liked the writing style but YA is a genre that evolves so quickly. And I guess I might be growing out of it in general.

hlcullum's review

Song of the Current is a YA fantasy that follows “Caro”, a young girl with loving parents who desperately wants the god in the river to talk to her. When she is forced to transport cargo, she is sent on an adventure that changes the course of her fate forever.

So…well, this book STARTS amazingly. You can tell the author knows her stuff when it comes to sailing. She’s not going to hold your hand, here. There’s also a level of quality in the first few chapters that…well, quite honestly, fades away as the story progresses. But I’ll definitely get there. First, I wanted to say that I had to point out the loving parents earlier because it’s so rare to have a main character with both parents – and they’re both doing the best they know how to raise their little girl. So that was refreshing. But okay! On to what I liked!

What I liked:
֎ The lore and the dialogue. Caro’s river-folk world felt very real and fleshed out. The God in the River speaking in small things was pretty cool, and seeing the characters interpret their god’s “words” and whatnot while Caro could not was interesting to see.
֎ The first chapter was exciting. We started right in the action.
֎ Loved how the ships have personalities.
֎ Oddly enough, this is the first book I’ve ever read where the only pirates in the book are the bad guys, so that was cool.
֎ Markos’ sass in the beginning.
֎ The nightmares.

What I didn’t like:
֎ The lore. Okay, so I liked it and I didn’t like it. Beyond the riverfolk, the world didn’t really feel that fleshed out. Also, small things and the river god were mentioned way too frequently.
֎ We’ve got a character that shows up towards the end of the novel out of nowhere, and I feel like he’s not properly introduced. He ends up being a really cool character and I kind of wish we’d read HIS story instead, but that was pretty jarring.
֎ The villains were hardly fleshed out! I wanted pirate hijinks! These fearless goons could have been muppets and it wouldn’t have changed a thing! I couldn’t picture a single one of them.
֎ Caro could be really intelligent sometimes, but at the same time refused to put the simplest things together. In fact, there’s one moment where she JUST admitted the truth to herself, but in the next paragraph tells Markos that it’s impossible. UGH!
֎ The romance. I’m usually a SUCKER for romance, but to me Markos and Caro didn’t work well together. I would’ve liked it more if they went from bitter to friends more than this almost insta-love (insta-lust, more like it) that we end up seeing here.

My complaints really began in Chapter 8. Suddenly details just kind of seemed to be missing, taking me out of the book. Things just started becoming easier and easier for Caro. There was always a convenient answer. The lust between Markos and Caro came out of NOWHERE to me and felt really misplaced.

Overall, I think this could’ve gone through another draft or two. One where Caro lost her hypocrisy or at least was called out for it; where the villains were better fleshed out so that they felt as distinctive as the main characters; and where the conflicts had tougher solutions. Even still, I will probably pick up the sequel to read.