Soulless, by Gail Carriger

megawhoppingcosmicbookwyrm's review

adventurous funny lighthearted mysterious fast-paced

else's review against another edition

I enjoyed this book and the rest of the series immensely! It's one of my favorite books and I have read it many times.

Would recommend everyone to try out the first page. If you love it, you will love the book!

I have convinced several friends to read this book by reading the first chapter to them aloud :D

aphrael's review against another edition

Very charming and adorable. Lovely awkwardly romantic and overall lighthearted story. Sometimes the intention for it to be lighthearted overwhelms the inherent seriousness of some situations and emotions, so I'm not sure how this will proceed in the next books. Unfortunately sometimes the characters aren't great at understanding or remembering important clues which is a shame because they otherwise don't come across as stupid. Normally I'm not a great fan of age gaps but this one seems pretty ok, they seem to regard each other as competent equals. Also she's old enough to know what she wants and doesn't seem impressed with their difference in experience and power, and he enjoys her not being impressed. However I found it baffling that neither of them was the slightest bit worried that he is more or less immortal and she is by all reports destined to die young. I will keep reading and see if this gets resolved somehow!

sephranix's review against another edition

The romance isn't usually my cup of tea, but damn, this was just a really fun adventure!

philippos's review against another edition

FABULOUS makes you grin like cheshire in every turn

er1ngobraugh's review against another edition

Quirky, steampunk, mystery/romance

lorange's review against another edition

This book had me grinning from ear to ear from start to finish. And lucky me, I snagged a signed edition at my bookstore!

The story is set in a Victorian England where paranormal creatures like werewolves, vampires, and ghosts exist - because they have an excess amount of soul. Alexia, our bold and brazen main character, is soulless which grants her the interesting ability to temporarily counteract the “supernatural” sides of beings and turn them human while she is in contact with them. Mix in a handsome werewolf investigator and a supernatural mystery and it makes for a delightful read.

librovert's review against another edition

Note: I listened to the audiobook of Soulless, and I'll be continuing with the books in physical form. See comments at the end on the narrator.

In a steampunked Victorian England we have vampires, werewolves, scientific intrigue, and preternaturals - being who can negate the powers of a supernatural being. It is rare to see this many genres and ideas fused together so seamlessly, but Carriger's world is thoughtfully crafted to ensure that the components mesh very well.

The narrative is written with a Victorian flair that really brings out the setting of the story, and the characters are well-crafted.

I loved reading about Alexia. It was refreshing to have a 26 year old heroine, in a world where many heroines are in their teenage years. Not only that, but she clever, independent and not afraid to speak her mind.

My only qualm with the story was in the romance. It seemed forced and childish (in the we're-five-years-old-and-are-going-to-hit-each-other-on-the-playground-to-show-that-we-have-a-crush-on-each-other way) to me. I liked where the relationship went in the end, but it didn't seem like a believable path for the relationship to take. Ah well...

I'll definitely be continuing on with the series, I'm excited to see where the next book takes us.

Audiobook Review

The Audiobook was... okay. The majority of the narration was in Emily Gray's native English accent, and it was fantastic. She has a very high air that was appropriate for the writing style and the novel itself.

However, Lord Maccon's Scottish and Mr. MacDougall's American accent made me cringe every time they spoke. To be fair, I seem to have a problem with all audiobook narrators who use American accents and I also just listened to Outlander and Dragonfly in Amber - the narrator of these books has a fantastic Scottish accent, so maybe I'm a bit spoiled? Either way, I think I'll be continuing with this series in book form.

fionac326's review against another edition

funny lighthearted mysterious fast-paced

vittorioseg's review against another edition

It was just not for me. I didn't get interested in the story or the continuous explanation that it tried to give of London and the supernatural.