shirleyleng's review against another edition

Highly recommended for those who want to learn more about the systematic challenges around inclusive design.

emmah45's review against another edition

informative medium-paced

amberbunnag's review against another edition

a good listen! initial chapters were more interesting to me than the later ones--stuff like women's travel patterns being different and city snowpaving that didn't take gender into account causing more pedestrian injuries was just more of a surprise to me and more compelling to listen to than stuff about how hilary clinton endured sexism during the 2016 election, which of course she did, but i would have liked a little more nuance about how privileged white women can still perpetuate racism, imperialism and capitalism and the reasons why leftist women didn't support clinton--this is not too much to ask because she DOES get into some of those ideas at a couple different points in the book. but maybe this would be an even better read for men who are like "wow i never considered that iPhones are designed for male hands" or whatever. did margaret thatcher have girl power? really cool research though, lots of fun callbacks to my feminist iceland trip. this review was mostly a run-on sentence but it's fine :)

garbonzobean's review against another edition

This book started with a lot of thoughts on motherhood, maternity leave and unpaid care work (such as childcare, cooking, etc), which at first really rubbed me the wrong way. I was worried that this was just going to focus on "mothers" and exclude young women, or women who don't want/can't have children. But alas, women are being forgotten everywhere, not just as mothers or caretakers and this book really points that out. From transit, to safety in cars or at work, to the medical care we receive, to of course to performing most unpaid work, women are being forgotten. While this is no surprise to me, as I get to experience the wonders of being the invisible sex, the sheer magnitude of it was certainly a surprise and having it all laid out in front of me was frankly sad. I learned a lot, especially about women less fortunate than me.

This book is great, it is worth the read if you're interested, but it is dense. It reads a lot like a text book. I think 95% of the pages in this book has either a year, a percent, or a financial number on it. It is often hard to digest all the information, but the author does a good job at largely summarizing her thesis at the end of each chapter (so you get the gist of it all).

I also found this hard to get into given the current state of our world. This book talks about how women have been harder impacted by pandemics (ebola, zika) and natural disasters (hurricane Katrina, 2004 tsunami in Sri Lanka). It also talks about how female politicians are sexually harassed and left out of crucial decisions. These topics are so close to home right now, and this book was not a place for me to go and escape.

oshild's review against another edition

informative reflective medium-paced

Very interesting and a bit depressing. It's really packed with information and data, so some times I found it hard to follow.

maggiechristo's review against another edition

Okay, so you see the tiny text that says I finished this on March 25th? Well, I'm so severely behind in my reviews that I actually am reviewing this book on May 3rd. (It's already May 3rd???)

Anyway, I loved this book. I've been wanting to read it for years, and finally got to it once I found the audiobook. I want to study data science in the future and think that data bias on this scale is something that everyone needs to know about.

Every woman I know related to this; I found myself giving the book to my friends after reading certain passages that I felt related to them. I showed a part about how pianos are made for male hands to my pianist friend and she totally related. I showed a part about being a woman in tech to another friend and she felt represented by it.

Anyway, I thought that this was fairly well written; although it was by a PhD student it was understandable and written in simple enough terms for the reader. I'd love to see another book by this author!

puffinthedog's review against another edition

challenging informative reflective medium-paced

karalauryns's review against another edition

informative slow-paced

andreiapmartins's review against another edition

Um livro obrigatório para todos, mulheres e homens, jovens e adultos. Foi talvez o melhor livro de não-ficção que li desde o início do ano. Só tenho pena de não ter chegado a ele ainda antes.

tammietam's review against another edition

informative medium-paced