Reviews tagging Medical trauma

Get a Life, Chloe Brown, by Talia Hibbert

apollo_the_bard's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful sad medium-paced

I actually finished this book about a week ago, but I’ve been teetering on what to rate it. It’s hard because I really liked it, but personally, it was like… a lot for me. Being sex positive is really great, but as an asexual person, I find it really tough to reconcile with the idea that the big moment of a relationship is when they (finally) have sex. It was kinda border-lining on erotica, and while I knew the third book is pretty sex heavy according to a friend that read it, I was not expecting this one to be as sex heavy. I really do prefer fade to black scenes, and if I am going to read something sex heavy, I want to be prepared for it because I need to be in the mood (not that mood).

Overall, it was a great book though! I really loved the main two characters, and I’m glad we got to flip-flop between POVs throughout the book. There were several times where I laughed out loud. I can see why Hibbert is beloved by the book community. I look forward to reading the next two installments.

eleana_reads01's review

dark emotional inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

ashley_a_reads's review

funny hopeful informative lighthearted slow-paced

Every aspect of this book is set up to be something I should like. I love art, I work on websites, and I also live with chronic pain. I am also extremely introverted and am slightly afraid of the world and being hurt. So surface level this is a book I should love.

But something just didn't click. I thought the characters were good. The plot was kind of meh, didn't feel like much happened. Unfortunately, to me this book was kind of forgettable.

Maybe it's because I just read 2 rom-com books that really ticked my boxes that this just didn't do it? I don't know... I'm sad I didn't love it though. It was a perfectly ok book

aliceloyallaleon's review

challenging dark emotional funny hopeful lighthearted reflective sad fast-paced

Finally a main character that is not white and has a disability that is hidden. So wonderful and a lovely read.

lesbegays's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

anna_wa's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective medium-paced

Before this review starts, I will make it clear that I usually only read Young Adult books and therefore you can take my review with a grain of salt. It's possible everything I say will just make you want to read it more, in which case, more power to you and I hope you like it.

I read this series in reverse: I read "Act Your Age Eve Brown" first because it featured an autistic couple, which is something we don't see enough in literature, then when I found out "Take A Hint Dani Brown" was about a bisexual woman I read that too, and throughout both of them Chloe was my favorite side character, so I was excited when I finally got her book in my hands.

And I did enjoy reading about Chloe, and Redford as well. In fact I enjoyed reading about them as individual people so much, that the romance fell flat for me. I remember reading someone else saying that "Act Your Age Eve Brown" had the most sex out of the entire series? Nah man, that award goes to this one.

From the beginning of their relationship (or even before the beginning, really), Chloe and Redford are so lustful for each other that, to me, it was almost ridiculous. Now, I get it, you know what a person looks like long before you know anything about them as a person, but come on. The amount of boners Redford got, the amount of clit-boners(?) that Chloe got when they hadn't even talked to each other in a positive way was just ridiculous and, for me, a bit unbelievable.

For example, in the other two books, Talia Hibbert makes the readers wait until the book is half over before the two of them do the dirty. But in this book, on page 83 out of 369, we have Redford
Spoilerwaking up from a wet dream and masturbating over a Chloe fantasy in his head
. It was way too much too soon, especially after the pace I felt Hibbert had set with the other two books - that you learn who they are, and what they mean to each other, before any clothes are removed.

And even after they finally started developing romantic (not just sexual) feelings for each other, I found myself thinking "okay, but like, are they even friends?" multiple times. There are exceptions for sure. The motorcycle scene and the camping scene both tugged at my heartstrings and made me want more of THAT and less of... whatever the rest of their relationship was. But overall, like I said, the relationship felt flat.

I guess I wanted more of them being themselves. Like, I wanted to learn more over time about Red's ex-girlfriend, about Chloe's ex-man and ex-friends, about Chloe grappling with her fibromyalgia (I don't need the author to make her into an inspiration icon or anything like that, but just... honesty about how it made her feel, more than just one quote in the entire book), about Red grappling with his depression
Spoiler(maybe we could have SEEN rather than been TOLD about his therapy sessions)

In other words, I feel like this book would have benefitted from being a general adult contemporary book instead of a romance book. If the romance had been a sidebar to Chloe's list and Redford's journey in his mental health and art. If there had been more friendship and less lust to this relationship (doesn't mean no lust at all, because they are only human, but again, a sidebar to their respective journeys).

I don't regret reading this, though, and I would like to thank Talia Hibbert for taking me outside my comfort zone - and for making a book where a disabled woman is considered sexually attractive. Because despite my personal feelings that the lust was overdone, there are not enough books where disabled bodies are considered sexually attractive, and we need more in the world. ♥

mariahlindz's review against another edition

funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

Reread 06/10/21-06/11/21

Okay, okay, okay.

• Fuckin’ cute as fuck
  • Redford Morgan!!!
  • Actual sexual tension and build-up? That's actually worth every minute? You love to see it.
  • Chloe is a strong character with actual faults, but so loveable and relatable.
  • Fuckin’ cute as fuck!!!
  • Made my icy heart melt then break and then quickly melt again.
  • “You are a woman who, in a life filled with pain, came here to ask about love.” Oof. That line made me break down just a bit, but in a brilliant, life-affirming way.
  • Redford Morgan!!!
  • Delightful.
  • I hate fluffy romance but this was a five-star comfort read. Well done.

maisierosereads's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted reflective medium-paced

I've wanted to read "Get a Life, Chloe Brown" ever since I first heard of it, and finally treated myself to the eBook from Hive last night* because 1) payday weekend treat 2) reading about a character with fibromyalgia when my own fibro was playing up sounded like a great act of self care and 3) my spot on the Hear Our Voices book tour for "Act Your Age, Eve Brown" is this coming Thursday! You can follow my blog and social media if you'd like to get a notification when that review + creative content are posted.

I was absolutely right about needing to read this book, and ended up reading it in two sessions. I'd already fallen in love with Talia Hibbert's writing style when I read Eve's book a few weeks ago - her beautiful descriptions, excellent humour, and loveable characters are basically irresistable.

Many aspects of Chloe's experience as a chronically ill woman resonated with me in a way that only own voices content can. My own early years with fibro also took place in Nottinghamshire, something which struck me when our protagonists took a moment to sit down on a certain monument a few streets away from the Galleries of Justice - my partner and I got very well acquainted with sitting on anything flat in those streets when my energy dropped or pain flared
while I was out and about - though before anyone asks, no, we didn't do anything quite so steamy in the streets as Chloe and Red!

I loved the ways Chloe's illness interacted with all of the other aspects of her character and personality in such a realistic way, and Red's ability to notice and accept all of that and make accomodations for her without needing to be asked or reminded constantly. Their relationship dynamic, with both of them working to overcome their own trauma and take care of each other without compromising their own needs, was lovely. The supportive side characters were great to see, too!

While I was able to predict the main conflict well in advance, it didn't spoil my reading experience, particularly given the conventions of the drama. I was concerned about how it would be resolved before I got to it, but should have known to trust in Talia because I didn't really have any issues with the resolution once I'd read it.

I will definitely be rereading this book in the future, and recommend it to anyone who enjoys diverse contemporary romances and/or wants to see a disabled Black woman and an abuse survivor getting the ending they deserve!

* This is an affiliate link, and I might make a small amount of commission from any purchases made through it. You can also purchase Get a Life, Chloe Brown from my Bookshop affiliate store here.

roshnikhatri's review

emotional funny lighthearted relaxing medium-paced

words_and_coffee's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted relaxing fast-paced