Reviews tagging Alcohol

Get a Life, Chloe Brown, by Talia Hibbert

kaycee_'s review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny lighthearted fast-paced

sunsetsunflower's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

yelibertcruz's review against another edition

funny hopeful medium-paced

theliteraryphoenix's review against another edition

hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

Get a Life, Chloe Brown is a good book for its genre, as far as I can tell.

It’s also very much not my genre.  Very much.  I’ll explain why in a bit, but I wanted to start with the good stuff.

First of all, both Chloe Brown and Talia Hibbert are Black women who experience chronic pain.  While I do not and therefore am not adequately equipped to give an accurate estimation of how well this story illustrates a true-life experience, I do have faith that Hibbert’s life experience informed her writing of Chloe.  Characters written by members of the community who have lived experiences are always better.

The characters are all distinct and have their own needs and motivations.  In romances, sometimes a single party ends up flat and objectified (the “Prince Charming” effect) and it’s good to see two fleshed out individuals in this relationship.  Chloe’s sarcasm is well woven through the story and is presented both as an aspect of her personality and as a defense mechanism.  I appreciated the three-dimensional view of her challenges and successes!

While the plot feels a bit cliché since it’s a checklist-driven romance, it is nonetheless cute in many ways, and the plot itself is really just the vehicle to represent the growth of this relationship and Chloe’s ascent into the person she wants to be.  Hibbert was careful to express the division between Red being a romantic interest and being a “savior” character, and I think the distinction is important.  These boundaries keep the relationship healthy.

Here’s why I didn’t like the book… and why many other people probably will.  It’s quite steamyHibbert doesn’t hold back on sexual content at all.  If the characters are feeling something, you definitely know it.  Because of who I am, this type of story doesn’t resonate with me and if anything made me uncomfortable, but objectively I can see how Hibbert did a good job here. Early in the book it’s very much a rom-com style story, and then as things progress… well… things progress.  There were some dramatic descriptions, but not too many, and the situation was immersive yet appropriately timed.  Not my cup of tea, but I know there’s a huge readership for books with explicit sexual content like Get a Life, Chloe Brown and I’m happy for Hibbert’s success.

As a whole, I am not going to pick up another book by Talia Hibbert, but that’s entirely because I now know her corner of the market is not one I typically enjoy.  That said, if you are into adult romances, I highly recommend picking this book up!  But know that it’s quite graphic in places – it can be shocking if you’re not prepared.

bexi's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

seawarrior's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted tense fast-paced

I really loved this story. I don't typically read romances so I wasn't sure I would get invested in it, but Chloe and Red's dynamic was so sweet and electric that it was easy to feel interested in their relationship.

My primary reason for picking this book was because Chloe lives with fibromyalgia, similarly to myself. This is the first story I've read where the protagonist has fibromyalgia, though it hopefully won't be the last. I felt my own pain and exhaustion and fear easily reflected in Chloe's. The most impactful passage in this book for me was
Spoiler when Chloe described how she'd gone years undiagnosed, and had to develop her own unhealthy coping mechanisms, which mainly revolved around learning to avoid anything that risked worsening her symptoms or emotional pain.
Spoiler I've been living my life with the same philosophy since my mysterious aches and everpresent tiredness began as a preteen. Reading Chloe's frustrations and worries reflect my own was as validating as I'd expected, but I wasn't prepared for how rewarding it was to read about her being properly accommodated and comforted by Red. I really hope people as loving as him are real, I feel like I decided they must not be at a very young age.

My ties to the subject matter aside, I thought this book was generally written well. The descriptions made the characters' world easy to envision, and the dialogue between them felt natural and real. Most of all I loved how the characters were described so lovingly and with almost a magical quality. It made me want to start looking for the lovely ordinary traits in the people I know.

All around this was a rewarding story to read, and I highly recommend it to anyone who'd like to understand more about what it's like to live with fibromyalgia, or for anyone who just likes to read about love between imperfect people striving to improve their lives.