Reviews tagging Bullying

The Ivies, by Alexa Donne

sniggy's review

adventurous challenging emotional mysterious reflective tense slow-paced

so, i just finished this. there are a few things
1. the writing
it felt kind of forced to like connect with modern audiences. there were some weird words and phrases .

2. the plot
just like what!!???!??!? the plot was interesting to say the least. there were loads of  things that were left unexplained. the things that were explained were just not explained well at all.
Spoiler
3. the love interest
what was happening with Ethan, i have no idea. like he was helping Olivia figure things out and then suddenly he was into Harvard and  had been test taking for Emma's scam business. didn't like his character at all.

4. predictability
many of the subplots were predictable for me. like there was no surprise aspect at all.
Spoiler
5. the murderer
the motive was terrible. like did not make sense at all why that happened. mc was saying throughout the book that it's always the boyfriend and guess what? IT WAS THE BOYFRIEND!!!!!!!!!!

6. Olivia
Olivia's character was bland. it was giving pick me energy. saying things like 'i will never fit in' 'i will never be one of them' i'm not like them' like just shut up!!!

7.the names
the first thing i look at in a book is names. the names in this book were so basic. eg: Olivia, Avery, Sierra, Ethan, Paul, Emma, Tyler.

8. NOTHING HAPPENED!
also nothing happened. in most murder mysteries there are so many twists and turns but i felt like nothing really was happening. usually in books like these, there is so much information that you forget but not in this. all the 'MC almost getting killed' part was also bland and felt forced.

9. tropes
plus, all the basic murder mystery tropes were there.

10. just a me thing
covid-19 was mentioned in this. like its not a bad thing but it was kind of just glossed over. i think i just don't like it when authors put real life events into books.

apart from all that negativity i think the story was really fun and interesting and an out of the box idea.

gabriella_l's review

dark mysterious fast-paced

i read this book ages ago and i still think about it, amazing plot, twists, and storyline. highly recommend

dream_in_pastel's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

hanghuhn's review against another edition

emotional sad

I don't know anything about college/university and schools in the US. I don't know why they need to write essays for the applications and also, the whole concept of elite universities, at least the elite universities in the US, is foreign to me. Although I also study at an "elite university" (excellence university) in Germany, from what I gather, it's completely different.
So I don't know how realistic this boarding school/applying to university in this book is. The protiagonist are mostly not likeable, they are rich kids who think they can get anything what they want. Maybe there are too many clichés, but we all know that rich people behave badly and think they are the best and can get what they want without consequences.
And than there is this schoolarship girl, Olivia, at this elite boarding school. She dreams of going to Harvard since she was a child, but doesn't have the money and background all the others at her school have. The Ivies, a group of mean girls, takes her under their wing and manipulates the girl who tries her best to fit in. So she falls for the Ivies. She does things that are not okay, but the rest of the Ivies do worse things.
There are secrets and scams, money flows between the rich kids, they cheat on exams, but hey, they wont get caught or get any punishment. Their families have connections, money, lawyers.
And than one of the Ivies is dead. Murdered. Olivia is scared. What if it's one of her supposed friends? Because the dead friend got into Harvard and Avery, the leader, was rejected. And Olivia got into Harvard, too, but keeps this from Avery. Because of the pact that the Ivies made. One girl for each elite university.
Olivia is determined to solve this murder. She has help from the boy she has a crush on, Ethan.
Olivia digs deep and although she receives threats to stop or else, she wont stop. She wants to know if the Ivies kept secrets from her and why. She thought they were her friends, but thankfully, she starts to question their behaviour. But then, especially Avery is nice to her again and it seems like she isn't that bad.

I've read an Amazon review about this book where the reviewer says that the book is racist because of the way the author talks about all those rich kids – they are white BTW (with the exception from Sierra, one of the Ivies). The reviewer says that it seems that racism is okay if it's against white. Well, there is no racism against white people. It's called discrimination, but not racism. And maybe some people may feel a bit offended, but than it may be because you are on of those white, rich kids who can get whatever they want without any consequences, punishment and so on. Maybe you should ask yourself why you feel offended.

I liked the book, not the things the Ivies did. But I liked that Olivia got out stronger.

SpoilerA few words about Olivia and Ethan: At first I thought they would be great together, as a pair. But Ethan turns out to be just like the rest. Not because he did bad things, well, he did. He participated in Emmas SAT scam. But otherwise he seems to be harmless. But his apology towards Olivia, or his so-called apology ... I'm glad that Olivia stood up for herself and didn't let her crush blind her. It isn't always necessary for a girl in a YA novel to get together with her crush. It would have been a nice ending, but Olivia didn't need Ethan or any boyfriend.

kbergsten's review

dark mysterious fast-paced

emilyrose23's review

adventurous dark mysterious fast-paced

lujisa's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

annieslibrary's review

emotional tense medium-paced

collinsd's review

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

thenextgenlibrarian's review

mysterious fast-paced

How far would you go to get acceptance into The Ivies?
👩🏻‍🏫
College admission is ruthless at Claflin Academy. Just ask The Ivies: five girls who each are gunning for a different Ivy League school. On Early Decision Day Olivia, who has been attached to Penn, gets accepted into Harvard—the school that’s attached to queen bee Avery Montfort. Avery doesn’t get into Harvard and is ready to take her anger out on someone. When another Ivy girl, Emma, owns up to also applying and getting accepted into Harvard, Avery loses it on her at a party and threatens to kill her…Emma is found dead the next morning. But who, besides Avery, had motive to kill her?
🧑🏻‍🏫
What can I say, I’m l obsessed with private school murder mysteries and Donne delivered. The cutthroat world of college acceptance is not one I’m personally familiar with, but do enjoy reading about the lengths kids (and parents) will go to get accepted into good universities. This YA book was fast-paced and kept me guessing on the killer. Just when I thought I had it figured out, I was thrown for a loop. Grab your copy today!

CW: bullying, death, blackmail, alcohol abuse, violence

3.75 ⭐️ ending was anticlimactic and not a lot of growth for the MC