Reviews tagging Cursing

The Ivies, by Alexa Donne

sniggy's review

adventurous challenging emotional mysterious reflective tense slow-paced

so, i just finished this. there are a few things
1. the writing
it felt kind of forced to like connect with modern audiences. there were some weird words and phrases .

2. the plot
just like what!!???!??!? the plot was interesting to say the least. there were loads of  things that were left unexplained. the things that were explained were just not explained well at all.
Spoiler
3. the love interest
what was happening with Ethan, i have no idea. like he was helping Olivia figure things out and then suddenly he was into Harvard and  had been test taking for Emma's scam business. didn't like his character at all.

4. predictability
many of the subplots were predictable for me. like there was no surprise aspect at all.
Spoiler
5. the murderer
the motive was terrible. like did not make sense at all why that happened. mc was saying throughout the book that it's always the boyfriend and guess what? IT WAS THE BOYFRIEND!!!!!!!!!!

6. Olivia
Olivia's character was bland. it was giving pick me energy. saying things like 'i will never fit in' 'i will never be one of them' i'm not like them' like just shut up!!!

7.the names
the first thing i look at in a book is names. the names in this book were so basic. eg: Olivia, Avery, Sierra, Ethan, Paul, Emma, Tyler.

8. NOTHING HAPPENED!
also nothing happened. in most murder mysteries there are so many twists and turns but i felt like nothing really was happening. usually in books like these, there is so much information that you forget but not in this. all the 'MC almost getting killed' part was also bland and felt forced.

9. tropes
plus, all the basic murder mystery tropes were there.

10. just a me thing
covid-19 was mentioned in this. like its not a bad thing but it was kind of just glossed over. i think i just don't like it when authors put real life events into books.

apart from all that negativity i think the story was really fun and interesting and an out of the box idea.

jackie_jackman's review

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

This is a great book. It kept me engaged and turning pages until the very end. The one qualm I had, that is really just a preference for me is that the protagonist is not a good person. I learned that I don't like trying to root for a character who essentially isn't a nice or decent person.

tealikestoread's review

dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

collinsd's review

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

isabella_ramensky's review

funny mysterious reflective tense fast-paced

So I read this book because of Alexa’s youtube channel and was not disappointed.

I am a little younger than the girls in this book and go to school in America so I related to them on a lot of levels. College stuff and whatnot.
A lot of the plot twists were predictable but not in a bad way, in a everything fits together way. And figuring it out was fun.

I thought some of the slang fell a bit flat. Considering the author is older than her characters it makes sense though. mostly I laughed and cringed a tad when something felt off. only happened a few times though.

SPOILERS BELOW:

Spoiler I liked how you still didn’t really know who it was until Olivia found Tyler’s computer.
On that note though, I got while reading that he mentioned Emma being strangled and it was a little infuriating watching Olivia not notice. I feel like she did that a lot which makes sense as a character thing I guess but still.

Also I ended up loving Avery (which I didn’t expect) even though her getting away unscathed and going to Princeton annoyed me so much.

I was pretty disappointed in what happened with Ethan. I mean I guess that was the point but I really liked how he and Olivia worked together. I mean he was a little cringy and the Harry Potter line was weird considering the age of the characters. Nobody talks about it super much.

I wasn’t super satisfied with Tyler’s motives and confession either. Not sure why, but something was missing. <spoiler end>

Also, I liked Olivia and the detective’s conversations.

Overall I really liked this book.

jillkaarlela's review

adventurous challenging dark mysterious fast-paced

This YA suspense/mystery had all of the high school cliques and stereotypes flipped in such an amazingly clever way, really making you understand/question motivations and how far people would go for what they wanted. A true position of the question of “do the ends justify the means?”. There was also a main theme of what it is like to be a scholarship (aka not rich) kid at a school full of extremely rich kids, and the extreme weight and pressure of college admissions today. This book was anything but predictable, I was on the edge of my seat. I highly recommend this murder mystery book, especially for people who liked “One of us is lying” by Karen McManus and “Good girl’s guide to murder” by Holly Jackson.

kaitplusbooks's review

challenging dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

Review to be published on kaitplusbooks.com later this month!