Reviews tagging Violence

The Ivies, by Alexa Donne

gabriella_l's review

dark mysterious fast-paced

i read this book ages ago and i still think about it, amazing plot, twists, and storyline. highly recommend

dream_in_pastel's review against another edition

jackie_jackman's review

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

This is a great book. It kept me engaged and turning pages until the very end. The one qualm I had, that is really just a preference for me is that the protagonist is not a good person. I learned that I don't like trying to root for a character who essentially isn't a nice or decent person.

annieslibrary's review

emotional tense medium-paced

tripwired's review

dark funny mysterious fast-paced

I LOVEDD THIS BOOK! it was SO bizzare but in a good way if you know what i mean. for all my A2C people this is for you. <during tyler´s affirmative action monologue at the end i was laughing so hard.> in the beginning, i had my doubts, seeing that the tropes incorporated in this book are tired and overused, but i realized that the entire point is for the book to be crazy and impossible. once i stopped with my annoying ´this would never happen in real life´ attitude i loved it. if you´re going to read this book, make sure you´re not in the mood for a dark, intense, brilliantly plotted mystery, but more of a wtf this book is actually insane mood.

isabella_ramensky's review

funny mysterious reflective tense fast-paced

So I read this book because of Alexa’s youtube channel and was not disappointed.

I am a little younger than the girls in this book and go to school in America so I related to them on a lot of levels. College stuff and whatnot.
A lot of the plot twists were predictable but not in a bad way, in a everything fits together way. And figuring it out was fun.

I thought some of the slang fell a bit flat. Considering the author is older than her characters it makes sense though. mostly I laughed and cringed a tad when something felt off. only happened a few times though.

SPOILERS BELOW:

Spoiler I liked how you still didn’t really know who it was until Olivia found Tyler’s computer.
On that note though, I got while reading that he mentioned Emma being strangled and it was a little infuriating watching Olivia not notice. I feel like she did that a lot which makes sense as a character thing I guess but still.

Also I ended up loving Avery (which I didn’t expect) even though her getting away unscathed and going to Princeton annoyed me so much.

I was pretty disappointed in what happened with Ethan. I mean I guess that was the point but I really liked how he and Olivia worked together. I mean he was a little cringy and the Harry Potter line was weird considering the age of the characters. Nobody talks about it super much.

I wasn’t super satisfied with Tyler’s motives and confession either. Not sure why, but something was missing. <spoiler end>

Also, I liked Olivia and the detective’s conversations.

Overall I really liked this book.

spookyfox's review

patandbooks's review

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

I really enjoyed this book! I loved all the Ivies even though they're unlikable, messed up people. They are smart, cunning and brutal. I loved reading about how they sabotaged their competitors, most of the time in the most subtle ways. There was some cringey dialogue but overall, it was a great read. The main character Olivia was great to read from. She's one of the Ivies but she is the most different in status/standing. That last chapter was so great, too. It felt like an authentic ending for Olivia.

rexreads's review

dark funny mysterious fast-paced

Spoiler I really like a lot of it, but after the false ending it felt to me that the author tried to do too much and while I followed what was going it felt a little all over the place. But I still LOVED the book and the situation! So creative. Wish there had been better LGBTQ rep and any disability rep at all.

thesaltiestlibrarian's review

dark tense medium-paced

Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC. The opinions expressed in this review are mine alone and may not reflect the views of the author, publisher, or distributor.

A lot of thoughts are swirling around my head, and I'm not even sure where to start. Let's break it down. So you have this private school, Claflin, in Massachusetts. Sounds swanky, right? It's also cutthroat. Only a few students every year are admitted into Ivy League schools.

You know what, no, I'm going off. I can't stand it. I grew up poor and didn't even think I'd ever have the chance to go to college. But I did, because I worked my ass off in full-time online courses for two years WHILE I took care of my grandmother so my parents could work. Those online grades got me scholarships to the campus I eventually attended, and yes, I think it's good for people to study what they're passionate about. But we need to stop pushing the "college is the only option" narrative on teenagers. It's unrealistic with the way things are run right now. Education is becoming a privilege, which is absolutely not what it actually is. I can teach myself the same physics for free at the library that someone shells out $100,000 for at a college that equates in the long run to buying brand-name toothpaste: no one cares in the real world, it holds no actual sway, and is swindling you out of money you can spend on the same damn thing somewhere else.

This book didn't deliver on the narrative that it could have. We got rich people problems running amok, terrible people being terrible, and no real discourse on how education elitism is poisoning the post-secondary tracts that should ultimately be free or HIGHLY reduced in-state. The whole motive in this book was so ludicrous that I very nearly stopped reading at the 89% mark. Private school is a sham, Ivy Leagues mean nothing, and standardized testing only measures your ability to take a test and memorize crap.

The writing was fine, I couldn't have cared less about any of the characters, and the narrator was no more innocent or lovable than the nearest Fannie Mae CEO. Nothing about these people was redeemable. No one tried to redeem themselves in any capacity. The only reason I'm not more pissy is that this actually had structure and plot that held me. Olivia's whole "we're not the same, sis" attitude got old FAST, and I can't believe she was surprised at her friends' horrible actions.

The reason I AM pissy is the lack of indictment on college scandal and the price of education. If Donne had just taken that extra step, THE IVIES would have been absolutely scathing. But we got a run-of-the-mill YA mystery that actually left me feeling that Donne approves of the current state of affairs. If you're looking for the next Holly Jackson, this ain't it. If you're looking for societal commentary, it's not here. This book is a reflection of Ivy Leagues: promises a whole bunch and delivers only disappointment and a time commitment you can't get back.