Reviews tagging Murder

The Ivies, by Alexa Donne

sniggy's review

adventurous challenging emotional mysterious reflective tense slow-paced

so, i just finished this. there are a few things
1. the writing
it felt kind of forced to like connect with modern audiences. there were some weird words and phrases .

2. the plot
just like what!!???!??!? the plot was interesting to say the least. there were loads of  things that were left unexplained. the things that were explained were just not explained well at all.
Spoiler
3. the love interest
what was happening with Ethan, i have no idea. like he was helping Olivia figure things out and then suddenly he was into Harvard and  had been test taking for Emma's scam business. didn't like his character at all.

4. predictability
many of the subplots were predictable for me. like there was no surprise aspect at all.
Spoiler
5. the murderer
the motive was terrible. like did not make sense at all why that happened. mc was saying throughout the book that it's always the boyfriend and guess what? IT WAS THE BOYFRIEND!!!!!!!!!!

6. Olivia
Olivia's character was bland. it was giving pick me energy. saying things like 'i will never fit in' 'i will never be one of them' i'm not like them' like just shut up!!!

7.the names
the first thing i look at in a book is names. the names in this book were so basic. eg: Olivia, Avery, Sierra, Ethan, Paul, Emma, Tyler.

8. NOTHING HAPPENED!
also nothing happened. in most murder mysteries there are so many twists and turns but i felt like nothing really was happening. usually in books like these, there is so much information that you forget but not in this. all the 'MC almost getting killed' part was also bland and felt forced.

9. tropes
plus, all the basic murder mystery tropes were there.

10. just a me thing
covid-19 was mentioned in this. like its not a bad thing but it was kind of just glossed over. i think i just don't like it when authors put real life events into books.

apart from all that negativity i think the story was really fun and interesting and an out of the box idea.

_justagremlinwithglasses_'s review

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

kbergsten's review

dark mysterious fast-paced

sistershelves_fasya's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

emilyrose23's review

adventurous dark mysterious fast-paced

lujisa's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

tealikestoread's review

dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

annieslibrary's review

emotional tense medium-paced

hgoode's review

mysterious tense medium-paced

Good but not great. I wouldn't want to read it again.  One of the twist was 100% shocking but the end twist wasn't. There wasn't enough character growth for my taste of reading. I also couldn't make myself care about the characters. To the point where I didn't care if Olivia was wrongfully arrested.  The writing was good, the storytelling was good it just wasn't my kind of book. I am interested in reading another book my alexa donne though.

eleanorefiore's review

mysterious tense

✨ Engaging
✨ Struggled just a bit with the writing style
✨ Infuriating in the best way possible

The Ivies is so incredibly engaging. There’s so many mystery threads for you to follow, and as they came together they made one big picture. All the hints were there and I loved following them and putting the pieces together afterwards.

The main mystery—the murder—was probably the least interesting out of all of them, but I still liked the set up and pay off. I know it won’t appeal to everyone. I’m putting spoiler thoughts at the bottom.

Olivia was fine. I didn’t love her, but I have no reason to complain. She doesn’t grow, necessarily, but she’s a good vessel for a mystery novel—unobtrusive, but interesting enough. She makes sensible decisions and there’s also plenty of time to explore the rest of the cast.

I think the setting was a big reason I liked it. I tend not to like teens written by grown adults, but the fact that it’s in a rich, private boarding school makes it seem like a whole other world. And some of the things I usually mind make sense in that setting.

The ending is infuriating, but not in a bad way. The whole book is about rich white kids—it’s hard to be in that world and not get angry at how rules are just suggestions to them. But it’s not unrealistic and because of that I don’t count my annoyance as a negative.

SpoilerI know some people will be like “it’s ALWAYS the boyfriend!” but like....yeah, it is. As an avid watcher of true crime...I'm so used to it it's not even funny.

I had a feeling right at the beginning, when they were reading the text about how not to trust any men, and then Avery made a snarky comment about her stepbrother.

I don’t know if his motivation completely sticks right with me, but the truth is that this book was never about who killed Emma. It was Olivia uncovering ALL the lies and mysteries at Claflin.

Also low-key I loved how she told you in the beginning not to trust any men. Because I’d get attached to Ethan, but there was always a thought in the back of my head that maybe that wasn’t right. And it all played out and it was just perfect!