Hoops Holiday by Kennedy Ryan

bookswritingandmore's review against another edition

So tantalizing and exciting from page one. I just loved every minute of this love story.

jackiepenn18's review against another edition

Okay, this novella is so good! I have to read the series now so I can read the bonus short stories at the end of this. Lol.

stormiclouds's review against another edition

Hoops Holiday is a sizzling Christmas novella that drew me right back into the emotional Hoops world Kennedy Ryan has created. I devoured Deck and Avery's story in one sitting. Hoops Holiday is the perfect combination of steam and deep emotion with a dash of Christmas magic.

corvinascloud's review against another edition

i- ok, let me start by saying that kennedy has a true gift for raw, humane storytelling. as such, this book book, maybe more so than any other one from the hoops trilogy, has left me with mixed feelings.
as someone who's lived with depression, not having will's pov (or more insight into their past as it was happening) felt like he didn't get the chance to "defend himself", which invalidated how he was despicted through avery's pain until she got her closure. at the same time, i've also been on the other side of the "fight" so i can empathize with the process of indirect victimization associated with mental illness, even if some of the discourse surrounding it played with my own fears and insecurities regarding how loved ones feel toward me and my struggle.
all of this to say, i'm grateful for this story - there's no glorified way to portray these very real and very prejudiced subjects. if this story makes people question even half of what's going through my mind, regardless if they or someone they know suffers from mental illness, i couldn't ask for more.

charlottenw1's review against another edition

In such few pages Kennedy really manages to hit deep to the bone. Avery still has to overcome her past relationship and the death of her partner, whilst Deck has to deal with a difficult split from his ex-wife who uses their daughter to gain power over Deck's life.

Their romance spans over a few years after their first initial meeting which left a bad taste in both their mouths and brings them back together to work in the same studio. Avery is a fiercly strong heroine but it's great seeing her be vulnerable with Deck as their story progresses.

It is short but I'm pactful and it was lovely seeing the Christmas short stories for books 1 and 2 at the end.

lsgway04's review against another edition

Sadly sweet

Nice, sort of second chance story between Avery and Decker while she was a reporter and he was the up and coming basketball star. Fast forward 10 yrs later and the chemistry that was evident years earlier was still there but Avery is now dealing with a heavy heart. Even though, this was a "holiday" read, it wasn't the typically swoony subject, which made for a better story. Avery was still dealing with the aftermath of her fiancee committing suicide. For both her and Decker, the always "what ifs" about each plagued them and when the opportunity presented itself Decker took it. Even though Avery resisted, with much reason to, she allowed Decker to help her heal from the guilt and hurt from Will suicide. Overall, good read.

perodiosa's review against another edition

kennedy must have some mystical n intense mind cause i can't understand how she can put some much intensity n intimacy on all of her books! is short n so fun to read

greylandreviews's review against another edition

3.25 stars
Trigger Warnings: loss of a loved one, cheating, suicide, and mention of PCOS

sassx__'s review against another edition

“I’m not asking you to be whole. I just want to walk with you, baby.”

It is 4am and I’m literally squealing. This is my first time reading anything by Kennedy Ryan and I have immediately ordered 5 of her books.

I hate the term of endearment “baby” but this novella made me love it. For a short story there was so much packed into it. Romance, spice, struggles of depression, loss of a loved one. Heavier topics were handled with so much care and understanding. The pacing of this story was also impressive for it being on the shorter side.

And whew the spice in this book is definitely top tier if not one of the best I’ve ever read.

jalyn_taylor's review against another edition

emotional hopeful lighthearted relaxing medium-paced