Reviews tagging Cursing

Malibu Rising, by Taylor Jenkins Reid

steeped_in_books's review against another edition

emotional reflective tense fast-paced

rachrreads's review against another edition

emotional inspiring sad slow-paced

I was given an ebook via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own

Yes I’m late to this book, I was told to read Evelyn and DJATS before this and then I just STRUGGLED to get into it. I really did not care for their parents lives at all or any of the side characters. I get that the parents backstory was needed to show how this level of hurt was a cycle, but Mick and June sucked. (Mick more than June of course!)

Nina and Kit have my whole heart, I love how strong these women came to be especially in the face adversity at such a young age. These women really found themselves by the end of the book. Nina, who has never done a thing for herself, finally realizes she can be selfish sometimes. I love that she broke the cycle her mother set for her by telling Brandon to go the f*** away. Her siblings are adults, they don’t need her like they once did. Kit is just an icon— her sass and strength is unmatched. Jay and Hud, although not really twins, have such a great relationship. Combined at the hip for all their lives. A huge strain is put on their relationship and they come through it.

The close knit relationship of the four siblings was the one thing that kept me reading. I loved their family dynamic. They really grew together through such a tough childhood that no one should ever have to experience. I’m actually kind of jealous, me and my siblings are nowhere near that close.

What I didn’t like—
•The random side character’s stories— I really did not care at all
•HOW SLOW THIS MOVED. My goodness I ended up having to grab the audiobook, I could not get through this
•Mick Riva —enough said

Overall, while I loved the Riva siblings and how close they were, this book just did not live up to the hype. The story was inspiring but it was just so slow moving and wasn’t executed in a way that drew me in. TJR knows how to tell a great story though, which is why I didn’t completely hate it.

holthmsn's review against another edition

emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

Malibu Rising is a masterpiece.
I fell in love with the multiple storylines from different characters and years - the back and forth, finding all the connections was incredible to read.
As my first TJR novel, I had high expectations and Malibu Rising certainly exceeded them! I loved the Riva family, full of all their drama, pain, and sorrow - they are absolutely magnetic!
A wonderful read that I’d recommend to many!

alaynacp's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful reflective sad fast-paced

brynngaybee's review against another edition

emotional funny reflective sad fast-paced

Such a great summer read! It was a very exciting and fast-paced read. The characters were clear and interesting. There were a few concepts that I wish had been explored a little bit more but there was a lot of ground to cover and it certainly didn't ruin my experience of the book. I liked the multiple perspectives and the complexity it offered every character. The little snippets of party guests' lives and stories were very cool as well. Cool story, although not my fav Taylor Jenkins Reid book.

tharini's review against another edition

emotional mysterious

paytonjillian's review against another edition

emotional reflective medium-paced

caseythereader's review against another edition

dark emotional funny reflective medium-paced

ticktock's review against another edition

emotional hopeful reflective sad tense medium-paced

thierney's review against another edition

emotional hopeful sad medium-paced

• easily one of my favourites (at least this year, if not all time)
 • very well paced, and the switch between past and present worked very well
 • great "worldbuilding," even if that world is Malibu in 1983 (both a very real place and a very real year)
 • a large cast of characters, which can be aggravating, but even characters w little significance were fully fleshed out and felt as real as the main characters
 • ^to add to that, the amount of characters made the setting even more realistic - not really remembering who everyone was immediately showed the chaos of both the party and the Riva's, specifically Nina's, lives in general
 • my first TJR book and i fully understand why ppl love how real her characters are, like to the point they look them up online
Spoiler i wanted kit to find a girl but its fINe i guess /j