Reviews tagging Emotional abuse

Malibu Rising, by Taylor Jenkins Reid

jazful's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective relaxing sad medium-paced

anna_m16's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional funny hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense fast-paced

rileyharrell's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted reflective fast-paced

I guess sex sells?

I feel like I am the ONLY person who really did not enjoy this book.. This is what I get for trying to venture out of my preferred reading genre. Not that this was a bad book by any means (I think the Goodreads star ratings speak for itself "it was OK"), I just felt that it was really overtly sexual in places that it did not need to be. Maybe being part of an asexual community myself I just don't really enjoy reading about those kinds of encounters. I get that the times that this book was written for it was probably common, I just didn't really enjoy reading about them.
I also felt that TJR introduced SO many characters, nearly all of them except Nina and Kit were underdeveloped by the end. Her last minute addition of Mick in there actually made sense, though, considering that is the role that he played in his kid's lives. I feel like TJR wants/tries to write for men and their narratives and I just read it as kind of unbelievable? Like I don't think their inner dialogue that she gives them (specifically referring to Jay and Hud) really is what they would be thinking in the scenarios she writes them in. Then again, who am I to say what they should be thinking?? I don't know, this one fell kind of flat for me. I am glad I read it, however. I think this is one the community will be talking about for a while much like 7 Husbands of Evelyn Hugo.

tharini's review against another edition

emotional mysterious

tatiannaskye's review against another edition

emotional funny inspiring lighthearted reflective sad fast-paced

Can I just say wow! Holy shit (pardon my language), but this book was soul wrenching in all the best ways. It only took a day to finish as I couldn’t put it down. By far best book I’ve read so far in 2021 minus acotar series. Though still it’s a definite must read!!

travelthrupages's review against another edition

challenging emotional inspiring sad medium-paced

melizto's review against another edition

adventurous emotional reflective sad medium-paced

• oone of the best books i’ve read this year so far.
  • loved the siblings relationships a lot.
  • made me cry and made me feel a lot of emotions.
  • idk how else to explain how much i loved this book

toofondofbooks_'s review against another edition

emotional reflective sad slow-paced

At its core, Malibu Rising is about 4 siblings who are the children of famous singer Mick Riva and how they have grappled with abandonment, loss, and actively breaking the patterns of their parents before them. It takes place both over one night at the "Riva party" with flashback chapters (which i loved) throughout that detail their parents meeting and ultimately the early lives of the children. I personally think that chapters like this are one of TJR's main strengths. It made the book give me similar vibes to Evelyn Hugo, which makes sense given that one of the characters is one of Evelyn's husbands in that book. Speaking of which, I loved the ties the book had to its predecessor. Ever since I finished Evelyn Hugo two years ago, I've wanted more, and this felt a lot like that, though I have to say I'm more of a fan of its predecessor.

My favorite characters were definitely Nina, Kit, and June. Mick Riva deserves no rights and that's all i will say about him. I loved the family dynamic between the siblings, how they found strength in each other even in the worst circumstances. It made me really happy even when the book got sad. Something that bothered me about the book and made me take off some "points" I guess, is that there were POVs outside of the Riva family that I simply didn't care about. They didn't end up having any real relevance and filled up pages unnecessarily - in my opinion. I'm sure there were reasons for this, but it just took me out of it.

the_escapist's review against another edition

emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

booksandmo's review against another edition

emotional hopeful medium-paced