Reviews tagging Gun violence

Malibu Rising, by Taylor Jenkins Reid

autumnreads98's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring sad fast-paced

Malibu Rising surprised me. I almost didn’t read the book because on the surface it didn’t look interesting, but I’m so glad I gave the book some time. The characters are lovable and for many relatable. The ending wraps up in one big whirl, but also in such a meaningful way.

beautifulpaxielreads's review

emotional hopeful reflective sad medium-paced

littlewagers's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful mysterious reflective sad fast-paced

steeped_in_books's review against another edition

emotional reflective tense fast-paced

laurenw's review against another edition

inspiring reflective tense fast-paced

Interesting premise, and the book kept me engaged until the end, but ultimately I did not end up caring for the characters as much as I wanted to. Nina's journey was perhaps the most interesting for me, but the flashbacks of June and Mick's relationship did not hold my attention for long. The latter half of the book introduces multiple characters and arcs for as little as two pages, which was intriguing at first, but quickly became tedious. The book also feels as if it is building up to many tense scenes, but eventually falls flat. All in all, it was a quick, light read, that served as a good distraction.

linesiunderline's review against another edition

challenging emotional mysterious reflective medium-paced

For a book that has been aggressively marketed as the “It Book” of the summer, Malibu Rising sure has ended up garnering mixed reviews.

What I liked:
• TJR can write. I enjoy her prose. It has energy.
• Although I felt like the characterization was uneven, there are characters here who felt alive and memorable (June and Nina especially).
• Malibu came to life vividly - love me a strong sense of place.

Howevers:
• So many people - I wanted to know more about the Riva kids in the present day.
• Somehow I was expecting the cause of the fire to be A LOT more dramatic. This isn’t to say that I don’t like TJR’s choice the more I sit with it, but it did seem like we were building towards this giant climactic fire-lighting moment that never came.
• A lot going on for a relatively short novel, told in dual timelines. I enjoy her writing so maybe overall this would have worked better for me if it was a bit longer.

Very well narrated on audio by Julia Whelan.

tallyp's review against another edition

hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

annasophie's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful lighthearted mysterious reflective medium-paced

Really interesting structure, faced paced and never boring. The family relations and overall plot are a little predictable, but Reid’s writing made up for that. Nothing exceptional or complex, but still a very enjoyable read, and sometimes that’s enough.
Reid also has a gift for crafting interesting characters and it’s been a while since I’ve read something featuring so many characters without it feeling overwhelming.

Final note, the best part was the prologue. It’s just a few pages but I loved it so much I almost wish it would be a small standalone sketch. 4.5 stars overall for me.

jazful's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective relaxing sad medium-paced

thesapphichobbit's review against another edition

emotional inspiring sad medium-paced

I'm always shocked at how cinematic Taylor Jenkins Reid makes her work. Honestly, if the film adaptation is looking for a director, call me up, because I have so many ideas and can already picture the shots of so many scenes.

Job application aside, I did really enjoy this work. The way that Reid explores love and self-limiting beliefs and just family in general was so complex and raw. Allowing us as an audience to experience so many different times and places and perspectives provided us such a helpful wide scope of understanding. The build up of the story as a whole was so well done that even though the end of the story is revealed in the introduction, I still completely forgot how we were going to end up because of how captivated I was in the present moment of each chapter. But the thing that I loved the most was the incredible way that this book discussed generational trauma. It is such a fragile, nuanced topic and Reid's layered approach, manipulating it to slowly build up over time, allowed for it to be such a profound discovery by audience and character alike.

Though Reid's writing style isn't my preference, I do think it is objectively near-perfect. It's accessible and palatable yet deeply detailed and emotional. I feel there are few people I could recommend this book to who wouldn't like it, if any. Reid's books will become classics one day, I'm sure of it.