Malibu Rising, by Taylor Jenkins Reid

dragons's review against another edition

Somewhat of a letdown. The best part of tjr's books for me is the characters and how real she manages to make them. The narrative choice in this one didn't really make that possible for me. The pov jumps with each paragraph made it hard to connect to any of the characters. The story was cool and I liked the second half more but sadly not a new fave like I was expecting.

cheskadenise's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful inspiring slow-paced

I love the concept of the book. About family, the hardships that they faced, the loyalty between the siblings, their mother and father's story and how sad it is. Also it involves the family's history where it all started and how the name Riva became famous or how they became well known.

This made me hopeful about the struggles that the Riva Family were dealing with, wanting them to be able to help each other out and coming up with possible solutions to the problem that they were facing. Nina being the rock of the family. How caring and loving she is! The sacrifices that she made for Hud, Jay and Kit. This was such a emotional ride and I can't help but be proud of how they managed to be strong no matter what had happened.

lindehoffman's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny medium-paced

depressyspice's review against another edition

i really like the writing of this author soooo much i like the was they tell the stories !!

martinsenjess's review against another edition

while this novel is compulsively readable (i literally finished it in a day), it doesn’t hold a candle to her other books. maybe that’s my fault for comparing, but i’ve genuinely never been so disappointed to rate a book four stars. VERY cathartic for me as an eldest daughter, however. “must be nice. to be able to be weak. i wouldn’t know.” GOD THAT FELT GOOD.

libraryfangirl's review against another edition

Without the framing interview device of Evelyn Hugo & Daisy, weaknesses in TJR's style becomes more apparent. Lots of tell, rarely show. The unreliable nature of memory mixed with ego gave the two previous books nuance that this one lacks. Still enjoyable. Good, not great.

crystalscollection's review against another edition

emotional medium-paced

fearlesss's review against another edition

Taylor Jenkins Reid lo ha vuelto a hacer. Increíble.

lourdesreads's review against another edition

I was instantly captivated by TJR's writing just as I was when I picked up Evelyn Hugo. And the fact that this story is centered around on one of her seven husbands, Mick Riva, was amazing. It all the more confirmed the realities of fame, fortune, and in within this story... fire– literally and figuratively.

Malibu Rising surrounds the four children of Mick Riva: Nina, Jay, Hud, and Kit. Shifting from past and present, Reid lays out the history between Mick and their mother June and the unfortunate outcome of his infidelity and absence as a father and husband. The present being the day of the iconic and notorious Riva Summer party.

I loved getting the multiple perspectives of each of the Riva siblings, June, Mick, and even the party goers. At first, I thought the other characters were unnecessary, but I realized they each served a purpose in depicting how the world of fame & fortune truly is and that it is not what it seems to be from the outside looking in. Most of all, it revealed that happiness doesn't have a price and having the biggest house on a cliff above a beach in Malibu can be everything to someone and nothing to another.

Nina Riva. A woman. A daughter. A sister. And a mother without warning. I resonated with her the most as an older sister myself. The downfall of two people always rolls onto the lap of on their children. Whether they mean to do so or not... and Nina definitely felt the load she had to carry for June and even Mick. And the fact that her sacrifice did not go unnoticed by Jay, Hud, and Kit was everything. I loved that they wanted better for her and saw that she deserved everything their mother would have wanted for her and them all. Seeing the Riva siblings be there for each other, console each other, and look out for one another like no other just hit home for me. Their love is truly unmatched.

The breakthroughs in the book were on point! I was rooting for each Riva kid, but especially Nina. And I was so proud of her when she spoke up and was no longer accepting what was happening to her. The shift in in her energy and spark was real.

Beautifully and emotionally written, but there is just no element I could not stick by that unsettles me in any book that I read and it's betrayal. Hence by slight rating dock. Aside from that, it is a easy 4.5 for me.

Thank you to NetGalley for my e-ARC!

martapagani's review against another edition

I love this author, loved this book.