And They Lived Happily Ever After, by Therese Beharrie

shyanneyoung13's review

ARC was provided in exchange for an honest review.

This was a quick read and overall a decent book. I thought the dream plot point was a very unique idea but I also felt like there was too much going on. With such a short book, multiple plot lines can sometimes get confusing as there is not enough time to explore each subplot in detail. In terms of the romance, it kinda felt like insta love which I'm not a huge fan of.

jrv45's review

adventurous challenging hopeful informative reflective slow-paced

corkspork's review

emotional hopeful slow-paced

I had a hard time getting into this book for two reasons: 1) I found the main female character's actions highly improbable given her personality and 2) I just couldn't keep up with some of the things that the characters assumed about the others' intentions. I would read pages a second or third time to see if I missed something, but most times I never made the connection about what exactly Jacob could see happening on Gaia's face. I liked the premise, though, and the ending so I'm glad I stuck it out.

theoverflowingbookshelf's review

This novel (which kicks off a new series) is cute. I appreciate the way Beharrie highlights the foster care system in South Africa in this #ownvoices story and the way mental health is also discussed. However, the romance aspect and plot overall fell a little flat for me. I just felt like it was missing something connecting everything together and I found it a bit difficult sometimes keep track of what was a dream and what was real life.

Overall, it was a good book and I’m intrigued to see how the series will continue, but I’ve read better romcoms.

damusicalpoet's review

emotional sad tense medium-paced

colleen_be's review against another edition

I stared out really enjoying this book, but the more I read, the less I liked it.

Gaia is insufferable and desperately needs to be in therapy.

eramhussain's review

Gaia is a successful romance author who spends most of her time alone at home writing or with her best friend Seth, Seth wants to change that and for Gaia to know more people and make more friends, so he invites her to a party at his house. Gaia goes to this party with a book and spends her time in corners avoiding people until she meets Jacob, Seth's younger brother.
This story is all over the place , there are multiple plots happening at the same time. Gaia Anderson is an author of romance novels who does not believe in love but has a unique gift that has helped propel her books to popularity. She also has debilitating anxiety from childhood trauma, a possible obsessed stalker and comes across a bit delusional.
I did not like the gift the Gaia had where she dreamt anything that she wrote. and wanted to know more about how the stalker (sister) found Gaia and their story together,

helencantero's review