bta's review against another edition

dark informative

kandih's review

Absolutely fantastic writing that I couldn’t put down. The sourcing & level of detail are exquisite. It would be easy to feel despair while reading about powerful people doing awful things but this book also has an air of hopefulness. There are a lot of brave women in these pages who were willing to tell their story despite the personal risk to themselves.

daisyblaine's review

This is the most important book of the past few years. We are all consumers of news, and deserve to know how it is being investigated, vetted and who is determining what is delivered to us.

plethora's review against another edition

challenging informative tense medium-paced

It is clear throughout this book that Ronan Farrow respects and has great admiration for survivors, and the profession of journalism alike. I credit him for his work bringing these stories to light, and for his perseverance through the events described in this book. It is a monstrous feat in itself to unravel the web of conspiracy spun between these institutions in the first place, let alone to then make it make sense for the reader. A world that allows this
Spoilersexual commodification of its female workforce
after all, is hard to make sense of.

There are innumerable players involved in these events, and I found it difficult to keep track of everyone's roles. I'm sure this is at least in part by design, if not by the author than by the institutions themselves. I would have benefitted from an organizational chart in many cases. The fragmented telling of this story, while more digestible in its format (and perhaps an indication of the varied articles, segments, and posts that started it all), felt like a choice rather than a necessity. There were times I wished these pieces were brought together differently for a more cohesive work. In terms of the structure, there were times timeline was favoured over subject matter, though this was inconsistent. It was a story in 59 parts. Sorry, 5 parts, 59 chapters, and subdivided further from there. Digestible, mentally helpful, a bit unearned.

All in all, this is an important read. Farrow wasn't afraid to drive the point home in many passages in a way that felt like some small justice in itself during such reeling events. The spark of resistance brought some comfort. He called it like it was in a way that is reminiscent of Chanel Miller. Calling a spade a spade, calling people on their bullshit, staring the message between the lines in the eyes, and yelling it back at them. Engraving it on the record.

It feels good knowing there's someone like Ronan Farrow helping to bear the weight of this crushing patriarchy for us all.

Shoutout
SpoilerMcHugh. Best dad ever.

jmrlarsen's review

Incredible story....Ronan Farrow is a modern hero.

marymccallum99's review against another edition

emotional informative sad tense medium-paced

kveldt's review

dark emotional informative sad tense medium-paced

gabbyardenb's review against another edition

I was thoroughly engaged in every single page and amazed at the honestly and vulnerability in this type of journalism. Everyone should read this book.

snorthington's review

This book is fascinating and horrific. The tangled web of spies, lawyers, unethical journalists and sexual predators across Hollywood and the news industry was appalling and yet absolutely interesting to see how deep and tangled the cover-ups were. It makes sense why so many of the stories broke in immediate succession when you see how interrelated they each were. There were times I had to put the book down because I was so upset that people had clear facts, that were checked and cross-checked sitting on their desk and chose not to act because of cowardice and threats from leadership who claimed to believe in journalistic integrity. There were times I wanted to throw the book across the room I was so upset. This was definitely worth reading for the writing and the reporting and the need to continue to converse about appropriate office behavior, the influence of power, and the horrific prevalence of sexual assault and harassment.

theburningclem's review against another edition

Harrowing stuff. It reads like an overcooked spy novel, but it all actually happened.