The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini

suakamuara's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective sad tense medium-paced

Banyak yang bilang buku ini sedih, tapi aku nggak nyangka akan sesedih ini. Aku nangis hampir setiap bab-nya.

Aku dibuat naik turun sama karakter Amir yang sebelumnya pengecut, membiarkan Hassan─ Hazara yang menjadi pelayannya disakiti oleh temannya. Tapi cukup takjub oleh penebusan dosa yang dia lakukan.

Di samping itu, kisah ini juga menceritakan isu Taliban dan penduduk Afghanistan yang tidak berperikemanusiaan. Sungguh, aku bener-bener dibuat ngeri sama cara-cara mereka menyakiti penduduknya.

tvrasche's review against another edition

I wept like a madwoman when I read this book. Every time I felt a sense of hope, it was usually dashed by the narrator. This is one of the first books which enthralled me while I had such contempt for the narrator. He was initially weak and spineless, yet I felt some odd attachment towards him. I could not put this book down.

darkbluetenn's review against another edition

emotional reflective medium-paced

bella_wish's review against another edition

dark sad medium-paced

I finally read this book after years because of all the hype. I couldn't match the passion, although the story was well written

govmarley's review against another edition

You know how some books are emotionally draining to read, yet you end up glad you read them? That's this book for me.

Frequently on banned and challenged book lists, the Kite Runner is filled with violence, sexual situations, and extremely unlikeable characters. It's not a happy book. It's the story of an flawed, privileged boy growing up in pre-war Afghanistan who searches for forgiveness and redemption for the mistakes made in his youth. Some scenes were extremely difficult to read. Some scenes made me sad for the characters. Some scenes left me indigent to the violence in the world--the stadium scene specifically. It's a story about how secrets can shape our lives, and it's a story about relationships.

If you can't take dangerous, violent situations involving children, give this one a pass. You will not be uplifted by the end, but I think it's worth reading. Just be sure to have something funny and sweet ready to read immediately after you are done to restore your faith in humanity. Maybe a good Dave Barry book, or The Princess Bride.

nursena's review against another edition

Both plot and writing are absolutely captivating. I would definitely love to read other works of Khaled Hosseini.

katherinemcbooksalot's review against another edition

Seriously depressing book in parts, but it's a fast read so it does move along. The writing itself is wonderful.

bibliophilelinda's review against another edition

Engrossing and haunting.

livbarrios's review against another edition

challenging emotional informative reflective medium-paced

This book is hard to read, but so beautifully written and so informative. Hosseini is truly one of the most talented writers of our time and his books are modern classics. Do yourself a favor and read this book.

anothersunrise's review against another edition

Great read. Tough at times, but totally worth it. Another excellent book in my Summer of walking a mile in somebody else's shoes.