Reviews tagging Slavery

Master of Poisons, by Andrea Hairston

boglord's review

challenging dark tense slow-paced

lauraglovestoread's review

adventurous dark hopeful sad tense medium-paced

Master of Poisons is epic fantasy on a grand scale -- many locations, many years passing, multiple dimensions even -- inspired by African Traditional Religions + folklore and following Djola, the title Master Of Poisons, as he attempts to save his homeland from dangers that are simultaneously environmental, political, and magical.  I appreciate a lot about this book.  The characters are diverse (lots of LGBTQ+ representation here), and even many of the secondary characters are well developed as complex + nuanced.  The worldbuilding is fantastic -- Hairston's rich descriptions are vibrant and the setting feels entirely real -- and the writing beautiful.  I did struggle with the pace at times: I actually really enjoyed the elements of the story that some other reviewers have described as 'slow burn' as strong character development really held my attention, but some of the more 'fast action' parts almost felt so abrupt that I had to backtrack and re-read to find my footing and fully know what was going on.  All in all, a highly original fantasy with excellent characters and world-building; I'll be happy to read more of Hairston's work in the future.
Content warnings: violence, blood, slavery, kidnapping, torture, transphobic violence, mention of sexual violence

lighterthaneyre's review against another edition

I found it really hard to connect to the writing style. It felt a little disjointed, and like I was thrown into the deep end of world building without doing some transition first.

Seems more like a personal taste thing than the fault of the book

multiplyoctopi's review against another edition

adventurous emotional reflective tense medium-paced

foreverinastory's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense slow-paced

Thank you to Macmillian Audio who provided me with an ALC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.

Full disclosure: I shouldn't have listened to this as fast as I did. I am very unfamiliar with the names and I wish I had taken the time to slow down so I could absorb them (mainly for side characters). That being said, I did not take any stars off for this as it is solely my own damn fault. But I do plan to reread this in the future either physically or in conjunction with the audiobook.

First off, this book is a stunning and epic high fantasy. Do not go into this book expecting anything different. This book is long and the world building is immense, but all of it is necessary. The plot is slow moving and covers very large swaths of time so be prepared.

Master of Poisons follows Djola and Awa. Djola is the Master of poisons until he is blamed for an attempted rebellion and poison sand corrupting his homeland. Exiled from the Arkhysian Empire, he must find answers in old alchemical texts with the aid of pirates. Awa is a young woman training to become a griot after being sold by her family--may be wrong in this but I think she is of a caste or supernatural being that is the object of oppression?? There's something here if I can't remember exactly because I remember her being the object of a lot of slurs.

This book is full of folklore and mythology similar to The Priory of the Orange Tree or Raybearer. It is a vibrant world full of magic, conflict and blooming relationships. There is also a large part of the world that is nonbinary. These characters are known as vesons and use the neopronoun vie. I definitely thought this book was the beginning of a series, but I am glad it was not. The ending was wild and I absolutely loved it.