Reviews for You Should See Me in a Crown, by Leah Johnson

nikod6e08's review

4.5*

jce's review

emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced

This was SO GOOD. A joy to read. I cried through the entire final quarter of the book. Everything about it was absolutely incredible. I particularly loved the way the focus was balanced between all the different facets of Liz's life. Spectacular.

staxsonstaxs's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective fast-paced

antoniasxn's review

“I’ve never felt quite like this though. Like I don’t know if I’m running away from something or to it. All I know is that I’m tired, so incredibly tired, of having to run at all.”

This was like a teenage romcom from the 2000s set in 2020 with queer characters and black girl magic and let me tell you I was here for it!

You Should See Me In A Crown tackles sooo many different topics (romance, toxic friendships, lost friendships, school, illness) with only 300 pages and still it never feels too short or too surfaced. Don't get me wrong, I definitely would've enjoyed 100 more pages but I appreciate how it was only supposed to be a short glimpse of a teenage girls life. Liz was a great main character and the side characters were amazing too although I do wish our love interest Mack would've gotten some more "screentime" in order for us to understand them falling in love better. I would definitely read a spin-off about any of the side characters tho.

While I think this book is a perfect summer-read, I thought especially in the ending everything got a little too cliche for me personally and I didn't really love the whole prom-element which is why i'm bumping it down one star. But you should definitely all read this, if you like ya contemporary!

allofthepages's review

This book was such a joy! It was very fun a and fluffy but also covered some serious topics, such as homophobia, racism, and classism. Liz Lighty is one of the best realized characters I've read for some time. I'm so glad that there's more characters like her in YA so that younger readers can see themselves represented.

yourrosequeen's review

emotional inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

lisbethwhite's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced