Reviews tagging Cancer

You Should See Me in a Crown, by Leah Johnson

thetealdeal's review

lennie_reads's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective sad tense medium-paced

adellabianca's review against another edition

emotional funny inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

elinmln's review

emotional funny inspiring lighthearted sad medium-paced

competencefantasy's review

adventurous emotional funny lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

This is so much fun. I never thought anything could make me want to engage with football culture, but the events in this sounded like a hoot. There was also more serious content, especially in the MC's backstory than I anticipated and it really helped balance the book out.  All of the characters, even the minor ones really seemed to work. The ending really hit the level of cultural catharsis I didn't know I was hoping for, and there was a scene near the end with a teacher that had me yelling out loud with delight. Overall this is a really great romp, and I'm so glad I gave it a try.

leahlovesloslibros's review

emotional hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

Liz Lighty never thought she'd run for prom queen. She's not exactly what most people would consider popular, and she definitely doesn't fit the stereotype for the gorgeous rich white girl who normally dons the crown at her upper-class Midwestern high school. Rather, she is a nerdy, average-looking black girl who is being raised by her middle-class grandparents, and who depends on a large scholarship if she's going to attend the prestigious music school of her dreams on the way to becoming a pathologist.

When her scholarship falls through, and the only way left for her to pay for college is to win the scholarship that comes along with being crowned prom queen, Liz is forced to put herself in the running. The new girl at school, Mack, is also in the running....and Liz is falling for her. Can she land both her dream school and her dream girl, or will she be forced to choose?

I found Liz to have many relatable qualities, at least for me personally. I was raised in a middle-class family where both of my parents worked and we depended on financial aid to help us through college, while many of my peers came from upper-class families that included a lot more privilege than I would ever know. Additionally, I was a total music nerd in high school, and never would've considered myself someone who would run for prom queen, much less actually win the title. Finally, I can remember so many of the feelings that came along with my first "real" (self-aware) girl crush and the relationship that followed; the dynamic between Liz and Mack bright up some nostalgic moments for me. Overall, I enjoyed not only the story, but the fact that the minorities fought for what they believed in, even when the school tried to shut them down.

jude7's review

emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

yuna's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

I care about prom so little I didn't go to mine, but omg this book was such a delight. Wonderful meet-cute, low stakes read but the stakes are a huge deal for the protag. Paced quickly and great characters. I loved Liz, her family, her friends, the rest of the cast. This book had great friendship feels, and such heartfelt apologies/makeups. I do wish we'd gotten a little more with Liz's friend group because we got to meet them and see them all interacting, and then they kind of fade to more background/not as much substance for a big chunk the book. And I get it, Liz was having the more substantive interactions with Jordan and Mack, but I adored Britt and Stone and Gabi that wasn't purely prom stats crunching Gabi.