Reviews tagging Panic attacks/disorders

You Should See Me in a Crown, by Leah Johnson

xolo's review

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

Technically my second read of this book but it was definitely an enjoyable read
Gabi and Liz's relationship was the best thing out of the book in how when you think about it it's quite complex
When I first got this book I got it cuz I heard everyone saying it was good but didn't realize it was a queer book so that surprised me in a good way
Overall look forward to reading more of the authors books

musebeliever's review

emotional hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

toberomanced's review

emotional funny inspiring reflective fast-paced

It doesn’t take much for a book to make me cry, ESPECIALLY if it has strong sibling ties, but this one has be tearing up again and again and again. One of the best YA books I’ve ever read.

le3713's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring fast-paced

This book was a complete delight. The protagonist, Liz Lighty, faces real and heartbreaking challenges but the world turns out to be just a little bit kinder than we might often experience it to be. The concept of a prom-obsessed town was a clever setting for this coming-of-age, first love story.

nillech's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

alyshkalia's review against another edition

hopeful inspiring slow-paced

valpyre's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

[audiobook]
4.5 stars

[spoilers ahead]
this was a really sweet listen, actually. i think it struck a pretty good balance between regular teen issues and the structural bigotry and oppression liz has had to deal with throughout school (and life, assumedly). it was really nice to hear liz coming into herself. some parts were really frustrating but only by design, because i felt so much for liz -- the forced outing didnt sit well with me at all (pretty much everything about rachel felt that way). the ending was lovely, although i kinda wished for a little epilogue just cause!

relin's review

challenging emotional funny hopeful medium-paced

anenbydragon's review against another edition

funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

journeythroughthechapters's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring medium-paced

Thoughts
I cried! I sobbed like a baby. And I loved this with all my heart. The reason this hit so personally for me was because there is a moment when our main character blames herself for not seeing a particular thing that happen. I don't want to spoil the book but it has to do with being a carer and that is something I definitely relate to as last year both my parents were diagnosed with cancer. But this isn't about me it's about the book.

Things I loved
- The Characters: all the characters were typical teenagers in their last year of high school. And I found that very comforting. I'm out of my "young adult" years but I still like reading a YA contemporary every now and then. But regardless I thought Liz our main character showed amazing strength throughout the novel. She's strong, kind, caring with the weight of the world on her shoulders. She has a beautiful heart which I felt really connected too.
- The Friendships: if you love a book about friendships with a side of romance I think you might enjoy this. This book explores current engrained friendships, old friendships, new friendships so what I'm saying is if you like stories about friendships read this.
- The End: obviously I can't spoil the end but what I will say is I think the second half of this book was amazing. I was getting 4 star vibes up until the end of the book. And here we are with a 5 star book and one that will sit with me for a long time.

Things I didn't love
- The Pop Culture References: this was the only thing I didn't love about the book. There was too many but I understand that contemporaries sometimes just need to include them but I wish there was a few less references.

Overall this was so enjoyable and easy to read. It made my heart happy and that's all I can ask for.

Representation