Reviews tagging Vomit

hopeful lighthearted reflective fast-paced

radikaliseradgroda's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

This book is incredible!

offbrandclubsoda's review against another edition

hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

This book is so lovely! It is a happy, feel-good YA book that is exactly what I wish I could have read when I was younger. The writing and plot development is pretty simple but I think it accomplished just what it set out to do. Reminded me a lot of Simon vs. The Homosapien Agenda.

Spice level: 🌶/5

emmaward55's review

hopeful inspiring fast-paced

This is exactly what I needed when I picked up this book. It's heartwarming, engaging, and so easy to breeze through! Highly recommend it for anyone looking for an inspiring, Black, contemporary sapphic book.

stoopidboobies's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective relaxing medium-paced

i like the storyline, i like the characters, i like the love interest, the side characters, pretty much almost everything.

i found it a bit too slow-paced but im pretty sure that's just because of my lack of motivation.

sometime in the future i might get my own copy of this book, since i read one from the library, just so i can have it close to me in a sense an e-book doesnt make me feel. i want to annotate the parts i loved the most in an actual copy and put it on my shelf so i can open the book and read those parts again to give me hope that happy stories for us queer people do exist.

i hope to shine as bright as Liz does in this book. she is truly admirable and also i love her character development!

overall an amazing book, i recommend it to everyone out there looking for 'a smart, hilarious, black girl magic rom-com', as the backcover says.

halfway through i found that i didnt have the energy to actually finish this book but i really wanted to because i was invested in the story, so i put on the audiobook and listened to it as i read along in the book. this made it a lot easier for me to get through it as i often lack the motivation and energy to finish books i started. the narrator (Alaska) has a very beautiful voice and i loved her intonation throughout the book.

paleghosty's review

challenging emotional hopeful fast-paced

amandalorianxo's review

emotional hopeful medium-paced

I had a feeling this would be a good book to have in my classroom library for when I teach high school students as opposed to my current middle schoolers. I did get the feeling that this was intended for teenagers and rightly fully so. The small town feel but they are outragesouly into prom out of all events definitely felt like something a junior / senior can relate to more so than a almost thirty year old. So I think in that sense - this would be good for them to read. However, it was hard for me to suspend my disbelief that a small town would care so much about prom. I didn’t grow up in that environment so it did make me raise an eyebrow. I also didnt like
Spoilerhow Gabi was taken back as a friend by the end of the novel. I felt like it would have been a more powerful storyline if Liz had parted ways with her instead. Gabi didn’t seem like a good friend to Liz.
Also
SpoilerAmanda being coincidentally related to one of the music scene’s popular band members seemed a little too good to be true.
I also  misinterpreted Liz’s sexuality a few times when she was around Jordan I did cry when
Spoiler Robbie was in the hospital</spoiler >Overall, if you are under the age of 19 but over the age of 14- this might be something you want to pick up.

adellabianca's review against another edition

emotional funny inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

frantic_vampire's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

This was such a fun read! It was bright and fluffy, but it also didn’t shy away from talking about racism and homophobia. I just freaking loved that Liz was just, so done with all of it and decided to do her own thing. This was just such a good book and it’s definitely a perfect way to kick off your summer reading!

I think the thing that I loved the most about You Should See Me In A Crown was that it didn’t feel like a typical YA contemporary romance. Sure, it had a lot of the tropes that seem to plague YA books these days, like the house party drama, the miscommunications, the friendship break up, the popular cheerleader mean girl, etc., but this book took all of those tropes and breathed a new life into them. There wasn’t a single thing about this book that I hated, except for Rachel...she is the worst sort of person.

Liz is just such a cool character. She’s a band geek, an AP student, a music nerd, and I could see so much of my friends and my own high school experience in her (she definitely would have fit right in! 😊). She’s got this nerdy, cool, badass thing going on and she doesn’t even know it! She’s anxious and stressed but she doesn’t let that stop her from going after the things she wants. I also loved her interactions with the other prom contestants! They ranged from hilarious to downright awful, but she always managed to bounce back. Oooh! I can’t forget her friend squad!! They were just so fun and quirky. And they just loved each other, even when they are being dumb and stubborn. I just loved them all to pieces.

So....as you can tell, I really liked this book...a lot 😅. If you haven’t read it yet, you really should! It’s so freaking good...I just want to dive back into it. This is getting a solid five stars!

daegubarnes's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted fast-paced