Reviews tagging Grief

You Should See Me in a Crown, by Leah Johnson

notmaryam's review

emotional hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

joanpack5's review

emotional hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

amandalorianxo's review

emotional hopeful medium-paced

I had a feeling this would be a good book to have in my classroom library for when I teach high school students as opposed to my current middle schoolers. I did get the feeling that this was intended for teenagers and rightly fully so. The small town feel but they are outragesouly into prom out of all events definitely felt like something a junior / senior can relate to more so than a almost thirty year old. So I think in that sense - this would be good for them to read. However, it was hard for me to suspend my disbelief that a small town would care so much about prom. I didn’t grow up in that environment so it did make me raise an eyebrow. I also didnt like
Spoilerhow Gabi was taken back as a friend by the end of the novel. I felt like it would have been a more powerful storyline if Liz had parted ways with her instead. Gabi didn’t seem like a good friend to Liz.
Also
SpoilerAmanda being coincidentally related to one of the music scene’s popular band members seemed a little too good to be true.
I also  misinterpreted Liz’s sexuality a few times when she was around Jordan I did cry when
Spoiler Robbie was in the hospital</spoiler >Overall, if you are under the age of 19 but over the age of 14- this might be something you want to pick up.

samespelho's review

emotional hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

When the going gets tough, the tough go viral.

This was a really fun and relaxing summer read, a classic YA romcom, except queer and with a Black lead. Most of the beats in the story will be quite familiar to anyone who has watched their share of high school movies and read their share of YA contemporaries. But hey, do we read these stories for the originalities, or do we read them for the feels? For me, it's definitely the latter, and here, there were feels a-plenty.

I really enjoyed the characters in this one. Liz was a compelling protagonist to follow, and everyone around her brought their own flavor into the story: her family, her rekindled friendship with Jordan, Gabi's mixture of messed-up insecurities and fierce loyalty, and, of course, Mack—she was probably my favorite here, especially in those moments where she started rambling and it was just so relatable.

Even though the story as a whole is pretty lighthearted and hopeful, there are moments that get pretty serious: the money matters, dealing with a family member's chronic illness, the grief for a dead parent, the effects of divorce on kids. I felt they were very sensitively handled and brought depth to the story.

I won't lie and say this was a super memorable book for me, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm happy I've read it.

adellabianca's review against another edition

emotional funny inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

frantic_vampire's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

This was such a fun read! It was bright and fluffy, but it also didn’t shy away from talking about racism and homophobia. I just freaking loved that Liz was just, so done with all of it and decided to do her own thing. This was just such a good book and it’s definitely a perfect way to kick off your summer reading!

I think the thing that I loved the most about You Should See Me In A Crown was that it didn’t feel like a typical YA contemporary romance. Sure, it had a lot of the tropes that seem to plague YA books these days, like the house party drama, the miscommunications, the friendship break up, the popular cheerleader mean girl, etc., but this book took all of those tropes and breathed a new life into them. There wasn’t a single thing about this book that I hated, except for Rachel...she is the worst sort of person.

Liz is just such a cool character. She’s a band geek, an AP student, a music nerd, and I could see so much of my friends and my own high school experience in her (she definitely would have fit right in! 😊). She’s got this nerdy, cool, badass thing going on and she doesn’t even know it! She’s anxious and stressed but she doesn’t let that stop her from going after the things she wants. I also loved her interactions with the other prom contestants! They ranged from hilarious to downright awful, but she always managed to bounce back. Oooh! I can’t forget her friend squad!! They were just so fun and quirky. And they just loved each other, even when they are being dumb and stubborn. I just loved them all to pieces.

So....as you can tell, I really liked this book...a lot 😅. If you haven’t read it yet, you really should! It’s so freaking good...I just want to dive back into it. This is getting a solid five stars!

daegubarnes's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

fictionalportal's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective medium-paced

nyoom's review

emotional funny inspiring reflective sad fast-paced

aseel_reads's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

this was super duper cute!! i loved the platonic friendship we had been Liz and Jordan!! i liked the anxiety rep too. i thought the intersectionality stuff was a bit off but it's a hard topic to cover in a ya contemporary