Reviews tagging Medical trauma

You Should See Me in a Crown, by Leah Johnson

toberomanced's review

emotional funny inspiring reflective fast-paced

It doesn’t take much for a book to make me cry, ESPECIALLY if it has strong sibling ties, but this one has be tearing up again and again and again. One of the best YA books I’ve ever read.

lilypilly's review

lighthearted medium-paced

This book was alright. It was all over TikTok last year, and I honestly think I was expecting more, it felt like The Hate U Give, which makes me think I'm not the biggest fan of contemporary novels, they feel way too big on pop culture references and trying to appeal to this generation.
I loved Jordan in this, he was so respectful to Emme and her struggles and accepted Liz even after she had pushed him away for so long.
Spoiler Freaking Gabi I knew was a bad sign, she was too good to be true

I could've gone without reading this one, but oh well, the more you read the more you know

amandalorianxo's review

emotional hopeful medium-paced

I had a feeling this would be a good book to have in my classroom library for when I teach high school students as opposed to my current middle schoolers. I did get the feeling that this was intended for teenagers and rightly fully so. The small town feel but they are outragesouly into prom out of all events definitely felt like something a junior / senior can relate to more so than a almost thirty year old. So I think in that sense - this would be good for them to read. However, it was hard for me to suspend my disbelief that a small town would care so much about prom. I didn’t grow up in that environment so it did make me raise an eyebrow. I also didnt like
Spoilerhow Gabi was taken back as a friend by the end of the novel. I felt like it would have been a more powerful storyline if Liz had parted ways with her instead. Gabi didn’t seem like a good friend to Liz.
Also
SpoilerAmanda being coincidentally related to one of the music scene’s popular band members seemed a little too good to be true.
I also  misinterpreted Liz’s sexuality a few times when she was around Jordan I did cry when
Spoiler Robbie was in the hospital</spoiler >Overall, if you are under the age of 19 but over the age of 14- this might be something you want to pick up.

nyoom's review

emotional funny inspiring reflective sad fast-paced

irlchaosdemon's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

nxclx's review

emotional hopeful reflective medium-paced

Honestly, I liked the diversity and overall tone of this book and it's great read for someone who loves YA, but I encountered the same problem that I did with The Gravity Between Us: everything ends up perfect, and it directly points this out at the end. That's something that I do not like in books personally, and it just does not work for me. The bad person get's theirs, the good always triumph, and everything is perfect in the end. Just... not my style. I loved the representation in this book though, and think that part does need to be shown more.

sofiaxaguilar's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

mouseketaylor's review