Reviews tagging Outing

You Should See Me in a Crown, by Leah Johnson

someoneslovechild's review against another edition

funny inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

super cute high school sapphic romance :)

lilypilly's review

lighthearted medium-paced

This book was alright. It was all over TikTok last year, and I honestly think I was expecting more, it felt like The Hate U Give, which makes me think I'm not the biggest fan of contemporary novels, they feel way too big on pop culture references and trying to appeal to this generation.
I loved Jordan in this, he was so respectful to Emme and her struggles and accepted Liz even after she had pushed him away for so long.
Spoiler Freaking Gabi I knew was a bad sign, she was too good to be true

I could've gone without reading this one, but oh well, the more you read the more you know

nillech's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

alyshkalia's review against another edition

hopeful inspiring slow-paced

valpyre's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

[audiobook]
4.5 stars

[spoilers ahead]
this was a really sweet listen, actually. i think it struck a pretty good balance between regular teen issues and the structural bigotry and oppression liz has had to deal with throughout school (and life, assumedly). it was really nice to hear liz coming into herself. some parts were really frustrating but only by design, because i felt so much for liz -- the forced outing didnt sit well with me at all (pretty much everything about rachel felt that way). the ending was lovely, although i kinda wished for a little epilogue just cause!

relin's review

challenging emotional funny hopeful medium-paced

i_love_books's review

funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective fast-paced

tahsintries's review

journeythroughthechapters's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring medium-paced

Thoughts
I cried! I sobbed like a baby. And I loved this with all my heart. The reason this hit so personally for me was because there is a moment when our main character blames herself for not seeing a particular thing that happen. I don't want to spoil the book but it has to do with being a carer and that is something I definitely relate to as last year both my parents were diagnosed with cancer. But this isn't about me it's about the book.

Things I loved
- The Characters: all the characters were typical teenagers in their last year of high school. And I found that very comforting. I'm out of my "young adult" years but I still like reading a YA contemporary every now and then. But regardless I thought Liz our main character showed amazing strength throughout the novel. She's strong, kind, caring with the weight of the world on her shoulders. She has a beautiful heart which I felt really connected too.
- The Friendships: if you love a book about friendships with a side of romance I think you might enjoy this. This book explores current engrained friendships, old friendships, new friendships so what I'm saying is if you like stories about friendships read this.
- The End: obviously I can't spoil the end but what I will say is I think the second half of this book was amazing. I was getting 4 star vibes up until the end of the book. And here we are with a 5 star book and one that will sit with me for a long time.

Things I didn't love
- The Pop Culture References: this was the only thing I didn't love about the book. There was too many but I understand that contemporaries sometimes just need to include them but I wish there was a few less references.

Overall this was so enjoyable and easy to read. It made my heart happy and that's all I can ask for.

Representation