Reviews for You Have a Match, by Emma Lord

the_reader_mommy's review

I have heard only super positive reviews for Emma Lord's first book, Tweet Cute. So when this book came up on Netgalley, I grabbed it with both hands...er, requested it immediately.

What a unique story!

Abby is a passionate photographer. She has her own quirks but she is doing quite well in life, thank you. Then her friend (plus secret crush) Leo announces that he is submitting his name for a DNA test. Abby does it too, just for him.

Imagine the shock when she finds out that she actually has a sister she didn't know about! Her name is Savannah (goes by Savvy), is passionate about photographs in reverse (she likes standing in front of a camera, not behind it), and is a social media influencer.

Obviously, both of them have endless questions but they decide not to ask either set of parents and instead decide to spend time together at a camp.

The premise was unique and the story was excellent. I loved the writing. I loved Abby, but I also loved Savvy and Leo.

I am reading Tweet Cute next!

Thanks to Netgalley, St. Martin's Press, and Emma Lord for this ARC.

kareenbean's review

3.5 stars, rounded up

This was a cute and unique YA novel. It follows Abby who signs up for a DNA-service and finds out she has an older sister she never knew about. It is also a recent choice for Reese’s YA Bookclub.

The premise of this novel is so interesting and with the times, given all of these DNA services on the market. It is part coming of age, romance, and family drama novel all wrapped up in one.

A huge thank you to Goodreads and Wednesday Books for the ARC giveaway win!

sarahbowyer's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted relaxing slow-paced

ohhellograce's review

funny lighthearted medium-paced

millieyeoman's review

adventurous emotional funny lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

_skyler's review

adventurous medium-paced

spudoodles's review

emotional mysterious medium-paced

spearly's review

funny lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

If I'd read this back in high school, this would be an easy 5 stars.

Guys. It's so dang cute. It's exactly what I'd expect from a summer-camp-parent-trap esque book. Adorable best-friends-secret-crushes romance, secret sister drama, summer camp shenanigans...

(though I always wonder if the authors who set a story at a summer camp have every actually been to a summer camp, because I went to sleepover camp every summer from 8-16, and even worked at that very same camp as a counsellor, and let me tell you, much of what I read about in all these books would not fly. Campers off on there own? No, there's a buddy system/ Precarious falls with no way out where campers and staff could get lost? No freaking way. Plus, at least where I went to camp, there was a buddy number system we had several times a day, so there is no way someone could go missing for a whole evening and overnight  like Savvy does. But I will give Lord the benefit of the doubt, because I do only have my one sleepover camp I ever went to, so I guess others could have very well had more dangerous free rein? I mean, I don't buy it, but I can suspend my disbelief.)

Hella cute. Leo? Lovely. Abby? I mean, she did some things, had some miscommunications the made me roll my eyes, but then I remember that she is 16, and I doubt I was much better at that age. Savvy? Handled finding out about a secret sister in stride.

We got queer teenage love, which wasn't the main focus or even the main love story, but was so nice to see, especially in a YA novel.

Overall, a great, easy read. The kind that made my heart flip. The kind that makes me nostalgic for those summer camp days.

afictionalwanderer's review

Rating: 3.5
Format: Hardcover
Dates: 1/31/21 - 02/03/21

This was a cute book! Unfortunately I did not love it as much as Tweet Cute, but we shouldn't be comparing. I really enjoyed all of the different friendships in this book. I know I am not the target audience for this book so my annoyance with Abby really shouldn't affect my rating. She is just a teenager making real annoying teenager decisions. This is a cute book if you like books with families coming together and great friendships.

There is a romance but it is very minimal and definitely no where near the main plot. This book is about Abby connecting with a sister she never knew she had.

mildlyjulie's review

lighthearted medium-paced

I wish you could have seen the look on my face when I got to the bit about someone looking at the photos "you could sell these!". Y'all. Someone PLEASE kill this teenage secret genius photographer trope.

I was excited for a YA book to be about a sister relationship instead of a boy...but then they boy was there still. He and the other friend never really came alive to me, since all that development was in the past, so I just never really cared about either of them.

Also, this girl is kind of terrible. Am I the only one who didn't actually like her that much?

Super cool to have plenty of representation and diversity though.

Other nitpicks :
Seattle is neither humid nor muggy.
Does anyone actually say Bell Square? And why on earth would teens in Seattle drive all the way on traffic filled freeways to freaking Bellevue?
425 is an area code for the area around Seattle, not Seattle proper, and I feel like all the 206/425 numbers are taken by now so a cell phone would be the one that starts with 9.